We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 weeks in Hawaii

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
2 weeks in Hawaii

Hi,

I hope I'm posting this in the right area. I'm after some help. My partner and I will be honeymooning in Hawaii in early September for 2 weeks. We had initially hoped to fit in 3 islands, Big Island, Kauai and Oahu. But now, after getting the Lonely Planet guide, I'm thinking only 2 will really be doable in 2 weeks?

We'd like to do some hiking, lazy beach trips, maybe some off beach snorkeling, a helicopter tour, tv/movie tour and shopping, we would also like to experience some night life.

Any suggestions on which islands might be best for this would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,079 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 weeks in Hawaii

Two islands in two weeks, and you'll be pushing it to include the Big Island. If you want shopping and nightlife, O`ahu is really the best option. Take a look at the Top Questions on this page and read the Summary of Each Island for a quick overview of what each offers. It may help you narrow down your wish list. O`ahu and Kaua`i are a nice contrast.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,267 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 weeks in Hawaii

Hi, Sarah - thanks for re-posting.

How many nights will you have? 13? Always count your nights.

You have time for two Islands. It's not that three Islands are impossible - but you will lose at least a 1/2 day with each Island transition. That's alot of airports. And figure in the cost of interisland flights.

If you did 5 nights on Oahu, 5 on Kauai and 3 on the east side of the Big Island (Volcanoes National Park/Hilo) - that would work. But the Big Island is too big to see the whole thing ... if you want to see Oahu and Kauai as well.

Understand that you could easily spend your entire vacation on any of these three Islands and not run out of things to see and do.

You really can't squeeze in an Island ... without taking time from another Island.

For nightlife and shopping, you want Oahu ... and Oahu has the other activities you mention as well. Although Oahu has the major city of Honolulu - it is generally rural. You'll be flying in and out of Honolulu ... and I would save it for last.

Note that you will need a car on any of the major Islands with the exception of the City of Honolulu on the Island of Oahu.

(September screams Kauai to me. I would split between Kauai and Oahu.)

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 weeks in Hawaii

Thanks for the comments, we were thinking The Big Island might drop off our to do list unfortunately.

All up we have 15 nights.

We were not planning on hiring a car, being from Australia, the traffic conditions will be opposite for us and I feel perhaps too stressful, will public transport and taxis be reliable enough?

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 weeks in Hawaii

Any island but Oahu you need a car, for sure.

Southern California
Level Contributor
12,190 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 weeks in Hawaii

What #4 said, plus you cannot take any luggage on the bus, nothing bigger than a daypack.

Edina, Minnesota
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 weeks in Hawaii

I wouldn't worry about driving on the right (correct) side. It will come surprisingly naturally to you after a couple minutes. I've spent lots of time bombing around old British commonwealth islands like Antigua and Grenada on the left side of the road and the only problem I ever have is when I return to the states and back in my own car, there is always that first "OH CRAP" moment where I inevitably pull out of my own driveway and start out on the left.

Edited: 08 February 2014, 21:59
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,267 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 weeks in Hawaii

You need a car, plain and simple. You have time to see the sights and explore the Islands of your choice. Public transportation will not allow you to function very well - but rather it would be very restrictive and time-consuming, inflexible. It would be a shame to go all the way to Hawaii and not see it.

Yes, within Honolulu you can use cab$ and buses just fine ... but need a car for the other areas of the Island.

Fly to Kauai when you arrive from Australia. Rent a car there. Get a feel for driving on Kauai before renting on Oahu.

Also - take an extra effort to get good maps of Oahu and Kauai and study them. This will increase your comfort level.

If you want to share your itineraries with us, we can help you with logistics.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 weeks in Hawaii

Thanks heaps for the comments everyone!

9. Re: 2 weeks in Hawaii

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 February 2015, 05:21