We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 weeks in Hawaii

Sydney, Australia
4 posts
Save Topic
4 weeks in Hawaii

Hi guys,

My husband and I are planning a trip to Hawaii this April (I know, we're a bit late...). We will be travelling from Sydney, and will be there for a total of 28 nights. We will be travelling with our 2 kids (aged 5 months and 23 months), and we would like both to relax on the beach and to see something interesting like the Volcanoes Park, villages, do some trekking, etc. We are planning to visit 4 islands, flying from one island to the other (kids shouldn't pay the flights apart from taxes because they're under 2 years, correct?). We were planning to divide the trip as follows:

- flying from Sydney to Honolulu then immediately to Big Island

- 9 nights on Big Island (in 2 different places on the island);

- 6 nights on Maui

- 6 nights on Kauai

- 7 nights in Honolulu

What do you think, should we give more or less time to each island?

Also, ideally we would like to rent an apartment on each island except for one, where we would like to stay in a resort to relax a bit more (we can't afford a resort on all 4 islands...). It feels to me that Maui is a bit more expensive than the other islands, so it would be apartment there, and probably resort on Kauai. What do you think?

Thank you!!

Chiara

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,458 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 weeks in Hawaii

Sounds like a fun trip, but if it is this April, you will need to get cracking on lodging, car rentals & flights.

I would avoid VNP because of the air quality for your small children.

You could look for condos on any island (like apartments) - what is your nightly budget? That would be helpful to know. :)

Overland Park...
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 weeks in Hawaii

Honolulu is not a good vacation destination. I assume you mean Waikiki. We have been to all these islands several times. For us, 3-4 nights in Waikiki is plenty. More nights spread across your other destinations would be better. Generally vacationers rent condos in Hawaii not apartments. A good site to find condos is vrbo.com.

Vacaville...
Level Contributor
470 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 weeks in Hawaii

With the ages of your kids I wouldn't want to move so much. I think you should eliminate one island. Just my thought as I have 3 kids who are now all over 5 and can handle moving. Also moving all the gear would be a drag...

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,366 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 weeks in Hawaii

You'll want to avoid Hilo the week after Easter when the Merrie Monarch Festival is on. You probably won't find lodging at this point anyway. Or car.

You will need a rental car anywhere other than Honolulu.

Sydney, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 weeks in Hawaii

Thanks guys, we're still way behind with the planning, but I'm working on it ;)

Yes, with "Honolulu" I meant the island of Oahu, most probably we will stay in Waikiki. So on Oahu it's easy to travel by bus, and we could avoid renting a car on that island, is this so?

coalminer: I hadn't thought about the air quality for VNP, is it so bad for the kids? Our budget for accomodation is, ideally, around $150 per night. Condos are perfect, I'll have a look at the site suggested by Bob. I was also thinking of "Airbnb".

We shouldn't have much luggage, I had a look at airlines fares, and it looks like strollers can be brought free of charge, we're probably not even bringing our kids' car seats (I'm not even sure the standards for those are the same between US and OZ, so we'll rent them directly there).

The order we were thinking of visiting the islands is the one I wrote you earlier: first Big Island, then Maui, then Kauai, then Oahu... unless you guys know it's better to do another way?

Thanks.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,471 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 weeks in Hawaii

A big NO to Volcanoes National Park with children that age. It is not recommended for children under five.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,366 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 weeks in Hawaii

You'll want a car for at least a couple of days on O`ahu to explore the island outside of the city of Honolulu. There are tours, but having your own car is more convenient.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,980 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 weeks in Hawaii

You can get away without a car for a couple of days while in Waikiki but you will only see a tiny portion of this gorgeous island. Rent a car for at least a day or two and get out and explore. The mass transit system called TheBus is great but with 2 adults and 2 small children, probably more of a hassle than what it's worth.

Car seats are a must!! You should think about bringing your own. Renting one is never a good idea due to all kinds of different reason like being dirty, old, not up to standards etc.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,382 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 4 weeks in Hawaii

Guess what? You'll return. No need to do a 'checklist vacation' this time.

People come to Hawaii, and keep coming back, not to hit everything at once, but to get on Island Time and soak up the Aloha.

When you travel with children, condos make the most sense. Longer stays in one place are better with kids, too. Some condos fall short solely on 'room service' when compared with hotels. They make for a nice 'home away from home' vacation.

I'd do only two islands plus your arrival and departure island of Oahu. Each interisland flight will cost you about $100 pp one way, PLUS half a day 'in transit' door to door. Use Hawaiian Airlines in the islands.

You can get by without a car within Honolulu by walking and using The Bus. However, you have to get to and from the airport by some means anyway and will want to tour the pretty east and north shores of Oahu. You might spend a couple days in a hotel on Waikiki and more time at a condo at Turtle Bay or Haleiwa.

Skip Volcanoes National Park with small children. The vog can be nasty, and kids' lungs are SO small. Stay Kohala Coast for less vog, more sun, and beaches. Things are more spread out on this largest island, meaning more car time. Are your kids up for that?

Maui has tons of beaches, restaurants, condos and hotels. Kauai is very laid back. For a month, *I* would stay Maui, Kauai and Oahu. Were I traveling with two little 'nappers', I would do only TWO of the three.

10. Re: 4 weeks in Hawaii

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2015, 06:20