We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baggage Question

Hayden Lake, ID
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Baggage Question

We are flying UAL from Spokane to HNL then on a separate reservation HNL to KOA on Hawaiian. Does anyone know if we can check our baggage all the way through. I assume there will be a fee. I just hope we don't have to retrieve our bags and check them again.

Mentioned in this post
Keahole Airport
Keahole Airport
Island of Hawaii, HI
Overland Park...
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Baggage Question

Best to ask United this question.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Baggage Question

Listen to Bob and contact United. However, if you can not check your bags through, it's no big deal, just get 'em and re-check 'em. Remember, your bags will need to go through the agriculture inspection upon arrival, and I don't know if KOA has the inspection, I know it is done at HNL. Chuck.

Mentioned in this post
Keahole Airport
Keahole Airport
Island of Hawaii, HI
Chuck's Steak House
Chuck's Steak House
690 Reviews
Oahu, HI
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
46,089 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Baggage Question

And it never hurts to ask in Spokane, either. See if they can tag them all the way through.

I've never put any bags through the agriculture check upon arrival ... only on the way back to the Mainland. Traveling interisland ... no ag checks necessary.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Baggage Question

Ok, not a "formal" agriculture inspection, but remember that cute little Beagle dog, walking along, on and over luggage on the carrosel? He(or she) is sniffing for agricultural stuff.

Once, as he was doing his sniffing, he stopped right in front of me, sat down, and looked up with his big, pretty eyes. He had found the banana in my pocket I had leftover from the plane trip. I had to give it up. Chuck.

Edited: 14 February 2014, 03:09
Mentioned in this post
Chuck's Steak House
Chuck's Steak House
690 Reviews
Oahu, HI
pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,148 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Baggage Question

Definitely see if United will check your bags all the way through. But, Hawaiian really doesn't want to interline bags, as they don't want the responsibility if the mainland airline loses them.

Hayden Lake, ID
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Baggage Question

Quite a while ago I read that Hawaiian didn't want it because of lost revenue if you didn't pay for their bag fees.

Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
4,953 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Baggage Question

If it was booked separately as implied above I would expect to have to claim and recheck the baggage, paying the relevant fees in the process. If you were booked through on one booking you would not have to pay extra bag fees at HNL... but as noted would be a good idea to ask the airlines anyway. UAL doesn't charge extra for checked bags, within limits, for first or business class, but of course does for economy.

You can also pose this question to the airline gurus on the air travel forum on here.

Mentioned in this post
8. Re: Baggage Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2015, 06:19