We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on airfare from Indianapolis to Maui, Oahu and back

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
3 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on airfare from Indianapolis to Maui, Oahu and back

My wife and I are going to Maui and Oahu in January 2015. We will be in Maui for one week and Oahu for another week. I am not able to book flights this early but would like some advice on the best way to book flights.

Should I book one way flights to Maui from Indianapolis and then from Maui to Oahu and then another one way flight from Oahu to Indianapolis for our return home? Or is their a better way of doing this since we are not going to just one location and not able to do round trip.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Laguna Niguel...
Level Contributor
304 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on airfare from Indianapolis to Maui, Oahu and back

I can't answer for one way over another, but here's a possible way to begin experimenting (and dreaming about your trip!). Pick a couple of timeframes out later this year (maybe July to represent high-fares and October to represent lower fares). Try out alternatives to get a feel for the relative costs.

One alternative would be the IND-OGG-HNL-IND loop. Another could be an open-jaw, doing IND-OGG, HNL-IND, with an inter-island flight between OGG and HNL.

I think Cincinnati may be driveable for you, so check out fares that begin/end there as it's a Delta hub.

I often experiment this way when I'm planning trips to new destinations. It gives me a good feel what alternatives to focus on when it becomes time to begin in earnest. Bing's travel site also has a fare predictor that can help recommend when to buy, but it may not have enough coverage to do this from/to IND.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
3 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on airfare from Indianapolis to Maui, Oahu and back

Great advice. Will look into it.

Dallas
Level Contributor
24,835 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on airfare from Indianapolis to Maui, Oahu and back

I don't know what airline you are using, but on American I could book a "multi-leg" ticket from DFW to OGG, then OGG to HNL, and then HNL to DFW on the same ticket.

American flies from Dallas to Maui, it's Hawaiian from Maui to Oahu, then American from Oahu back to Dallas.

I don't know if that is cheaper than booking each flight as a one way, and then book an interisland flight separately. You would have to play with that some.

But I definitely would try to book into Maui and back out of Oahu. Otherwise you will have to book 2 interisland tickets and take the extra time to do those flights.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,019 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on airfare from Indianapolis to Maui, Oahu and back

Do a multi city booking. That is what I do when going to the mainland. Last November I booked HNL/Vegas/Colorado/HNL. Generally it will be much cheaper than trying to book each leg. Look at Indy/Maui/Oahu/Indy.

Mentioned in this post
Colorado
Colorado
United States
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,846 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on airfare from Indianapolis to Maui, Oahu and back

As mentioned, do a multi-city booking. But I would recommend booking your two long legs together Indianapolis - Maui combined with Honolulu - Indianapolis. That should be the same cost as a round drip from Indy to either hawaiian location. Then you can book your interisland flight yourself. I found that easier and cheaper than trying to book the inter-island flight through a major airline.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,846 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on airfare from Indianapolis to Maui, Oahu and back

Also, check both routings. It may be easier to get Indy-HNL/OGG-Indy vs Indy-OGG/HNL-Indy.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,123 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice on airfare from Indianapolis to Maui, Oahu and back

I look for the shortest travel day and one long leg on a widebody aircraft (767 or 330). We fly ORD-DFW-HNL (or OGG), with the long leg on a 767. This is on AA.

You can book your interisland flight separately with Hawaiian Airlines as long as it isn't a flight connecting to your mainland flight.

I would do Oahu first, then gear down to a slower pace on Maui. I would spend less than a week in a hotel on Waikiki and more time -- in a condo -- on Maui.

In January, the ocean will be calmer and the weather probably better if you stay south on any of the islands.

Early January isn't the best weather in the islands, and it is expensive. Could you come in early Decembe?It's the same general weather, but rock bottom prices. Or, come a bit later in the year to see more whales off Maui -- until early April.

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
8. Re: Advice on airfare from Indianapolis to Maui, Oahu and back

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2015, 06:19