We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

volcano park what to do?

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
197 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
volcano park what to do?

i did read the website from volcano park but that didnt make things clear for me. We are going with a rental car so did i read it well that there is a road you can drive with different stops on the way? How long would it take? And how do you know where to stop and what you're going to see there? I hope you can help me out a bit more.

Haleakala Crater
Mountains, Volcanoes, Geologic Formations
Mauna Kea
Mountains, Volcanoes, Observatories & Planetariums
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,630 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: volcano park what to do?

Stop at the Visitor's Center first thing. They'll have maps and lots of information for you, and you can check the schedule of ranger-led walks, which are always interesting.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
42,424 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: volcano park what to do?

I agree with pzp - the visitor's center is a great place to start. Also, this website is very helpful - you can read about all there is to see and do:

There are a few different roads to drive on - one dead ends where the lava took out the road! Also many trails to walk - exploring things like lava tubes, tree molds, ferns over your head, steam vents - it is a very amazing national park! Do take your time and enjoy it. :)

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
39,478 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: volcano park what to do?

Don't worry, it's all signed and also on the map they give you. It takes however long you feel like giving it. You don't need to stop at every overlook on the crater.

Chain of Craters Road is the one that goes down to sea level, and that does take a good two hours or more.

Crater Rim Drive is the upper park semi-circle and that one the time is up to you. You are never more than 10 minutes from the park entrance on that road.

Don't stress, and look at the website some more because nothing I could tell you is as good as the site.

Edited: 17 February 2014, 09:07
portland, Or
Level Contributor
233 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: volcano park what to do?

The glow from the crater at night was the highlight of our trip to vnp. Highly recommend staying to see it if you can!

5. Re: volcano park what to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2015, 07:19