We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's Big Island like compared to Maui, Kauai and Honolulu

Chicago
Level Contributor
204 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
What's Big Island like compared to Maui, Kauai and Honolulu

Our family is going to Honolulu in June and we're interested in visiting the Big Island. Wife and I've been to Maui and Kauai which we loved. We loved snorkeling at both places as we were able to see colorful corals and fish right off the beach and we are hoping BI will offer that also. How is BI compared to Maui and Kauai?

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
5,012 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's Big Island like compared to Maui, Kauai and Honolulu

How many nights total do you have? How many on Oahu you plan on spending? If its snorkeling you're interested in, the Big Island is the best place I've snorkeled while visiting Hawaii. It is a lot bigger, so there are strategies that need to be employed to make the most of your time there. Do you have a budget per night in mind for accommodations?

Chicago
Level Contributor
204 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's Big Island like compared to Maui, Kauai and Honolulu

4 nights in Ohau & 3 nights in BI. Looking for nice resorts under $250/nt. If we can snorkel off the hotel property, that'd be super too.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,488 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What's Big Island like compared to Maui, Kauai and Honolulu

Uh-uh. One week = One island. I'd want even more time for Big Island if you planned to stay both sides. The volcano is SE. The beach-y, sunny, vog-free side is NW.

Chicago
Level Contributor
204 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's Big Island like compared to Maui, Kauai and Honolulu

Is vog year around?

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,298 posts
423 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's Big Island like compared to Maui, Kauai and Honolulu

I'd never split a week on vacation, especially not the BI. One week per island, except the Big Island, which takes about 10 days.

Split time on Oahu if you want diversity.

The BI generally has the best snorkeling.

Chicago
Level Contributor
204 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's Big Island like compared to Maui, Kauai and Honolulu

I'd rather skip Oahu and got directly to BI but we have some biz to take care of in O. If we were to stay in Oahu only, would we still be able to find nice snorkeling spots and enjoy seclusion? It seems so urban to me.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,488 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What's Big Island like compared to Maui, Kauai and Honolulu

The whole island chain is getting voggy air this winter. Unpredictable.

OAHU is an island with a small city (HONOLULU) on its southern shore. The rest of the island is typically tropical, although more populated than the other islands. Turtle Bay is a quiet spot on the north shore with protective reefs.

Snorkeling is least good in Kauai and improves as you move south in the chain. Big Island has the best sealife, but not as many easy-access beaches as Maui.

Chicago
Level Contributor
204 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What's Big Island like compared to Maui, Kauai and Honolulu

From what I see, Hanauma Bay offers the best snorkeling in Oahu but for someone who's seen the colorful heaven under water in Wailea, I think I'd be very disappointed there.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,957 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What's Big Island like compared to Maui, Kauai and Honolulu

I wouldn't split a trip up - and you need a minimum of a week to just begin to see the Big Island.

But to answer a few of your questions - the Big Island doesn't really compare to Kauai or Maui - it is really like each island, very unique - and even more so! The Big island has more microclimates than any where else on earth - it lacks only 2. That is an amazing contrast for one island! It also has some of the best snorkeling & diving in all of Hawaii, so you really need to make a point of visiting this island someday. But when you have the time. :)

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,518 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What's Big Island like compared to Maui, Kauai and Honolulu

You only have enough time for one island, and the Big Island really has to be considered as two islands.

Vog happens. It's an unpredictable function of what the volcano decides to do. Whether certain areas on the Big Island - or the entire chain - get voggy depends on the winds. We've been having southwest winds, and even Kaua`i has gotten some vog.