We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Island?

Level Contributor
43 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Which Island?

Hello Everyone,

I really need help deciding on the island.

I will be traveling with my family, 7 adults and 1 child (10 years) for 5 nights.

We were considering Oahu at 1st for the short duration and to avoid having to take another flight from honolulu (flights already booked).

However, after reviewing the hotels in Waikiki, they all seem to be very crowded, expensive and lacks the relaxation vibe.

We want an oceanfront hotel, partial or ocean view room, relaxing environment, and the Hawaiian feel with a budget from $200 to $300 per room per night. We also want the best beach for swimming (White sand and clear water)

This is the first visit for all of us, and I wanna make sure its as expected.

I came across the Hilton Waikolola in the Big Island, and it seems to be in the budget but i am not sure about the beach and the hotel itself.

Your input is highly appreciated.

Big Island Volcanoes, Waterfalls...
368 reviews
from US$182.30*
Best Seller
Turtle Canyon Snorkel Cruise by...
121 reviews
from US$96.75*
Best Seller
Oahu Grand Circle Island Day Tour...
665 reviews
from US$80.31*
Paradise Cove Luau
955 reviews
from US$97.00*
Level Contributor
43 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Island?

We will be there end of May

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
41,367 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Island?

How about you share a bit more with us - like what activities you enjoy, etc - that might help narrow down the best island for your family. 5 nights isn't very long for a Hawaiian vacation, but since most flights go thru Oahu, you might consider staying on the north shore of Oahu - very different from Waikiki. Do read the summary of each island, located on the right hand side of this page. :)

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,529 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Island?

That is a very short time in Hawaii. You'd save some travel time and about $200 pp round trip by just staying right on Oahu. You could also press to another island on when you arrive -- staying within airport security until your second flight departs and doing the same on the return. If you have luggage and want to do this, the interisland flight on Hawaiian Airlines should be on the same ticket with your longer flight. I'd suggest little Kauai if you do want to 'move on'.

You need a rental car everywhere outside of Honolulu. I'd want one there too; you don't have time to waste waiting for busses. North Shore Oahu is very different from Honolulu if you wanted a night or two up there.

We've been happy staying on the 'edge' of Waikiki, at the Ilikai. You don't *have* to be beachfront to enjoy Waikiki Beach either. May shouldn't be terribly crowded anywhere in Hawaii.

Level Contributor
43 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Island?

We are interested in water activities, swimming, snorkeling, eating and mainly relaxing on the beach.

Where do you recommend to stay in the North Shore? Which Hotel? Although they seem to be expensive as well.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,972 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Island?

I would look at Turtle Bay Resort on the North Shore of Oahu to see if it comes within your budget. Are you open to looking at condo rental options too or do you really want a hotel/ resort?

Where are you coming from, and what time is your flight out of Honolulu back to your home? This might make a difference in the feasibility of visiting another island besides Oahu.

If you consider another island, I would only do Maui or Kauai as the Big Island is very large and really requires more time.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,600 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Island?

Turtle Bay Resort on the North Shore of O‘ahu though you may need to up the nightly budget for oceanview rooms which would probably save you money in the long run..inter-island flights will run $80-$100 one way.

http://www.turtlebayresort.com/

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
41,367 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Island?

Or look at a vacation rental on the north shore - www.vrbo.com :)

Level Contributor
43 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Island?

I will be coming from Los Angeles, should arrive at 9:00 PM

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,972 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which Island?

What time does your flight back home leave?

Level Contributor
43 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which Island?

Should leave 12 PM