We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

multi city flights and flexible dates

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,972 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
multi city flights and flexible dates

Hello,

We are thinking about planning a sort of last minute trip to Oahu and the Big Island in May. We have flexible dates (we can go any time in May) and are thinking about 11-13 nights total (this would be our second trip to both islands) with 4-5 nights Oahu and 7-8 nights on the Big Island.

We want to go based on when we can find the best/ cheapest flights options. I've never booked a multi-city flight before by myself (we've used a travel agent our other trips to Hawaii), and my question is can you use the flexible dates option when booking a multi-city flight so that you can determine when the best prices would be?

So far, I've put in some different options on Kayak.

Option 1 -

Booking the flights roundtrip from Washington, DC (either IAD or DCA) to Honolulu, and then booking the inter-island flight roundtrip (HNL - KOA)separately would be our cheapest option.

Option 2-

I also looked into booking the flight from DC to HNL, then from KOA to DC, and then booking the one way inter-island flight (from HNL into Hilo (ITO)) separately would be about $43 per person more than Option 1, but would be easier for us than having to fly back to Oahu at the end of our trip.

I also tried putting in all 3 flights into the multi-city option on Kayak (the flight from DC to HNL, then HNL to ITO, then KOA to DC) and this came up to be way more expensive for some reason (like $114 more than Option 2). Am I doing something wrong here?

For those of you who have experience booking multi-city flights, is it better just to book the inter-island flight with Hawaiian Airlines separately from your flights to and from the mainland? Also, how do you determine when the best dates would be for the price since it doesn't seem to be letting me choose flexible dates with the multi-city itinerary.

Thanks for your help!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
752 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: multi city flights and flexible dates

I typically use this site: http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

While you don't get the low-fare calendar like you do for round-trips, you can choose +/- 2 days for each flight.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,972 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: multi city flights and flexible dates

Thanks, that's really helpful and I'm finding lower fares on that site. Some of the cheaper flight options are US Airways flights, are they any different or worse than United (I have flown United on my other trips to HI). What about Alaska airlines to HI? Thanks again for any tips or help you can give!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
752 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: multi city flights and flexible dates

I've flown most of the major carriers, and they're all pretty much the same. I wouldn't worry about flying US Airways vs United. Now if Hawaiian or Alaska are options for you, I would fly either one of those before anything else! And if you're looking at Alaska, then I would definitely get their credit card that has $99 companion fares annually!!

4. Re: multi city flights and flexible dates

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2015, 06:18