We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2015 honeymoon with 18mnth old

Tauranga, New...
5 posts
Save Topic
2015 honeymoon with 18mnth old

Hi Folks,

I would like some assistance if possible on a particular area/s or resorts that could be suitable for a honeymoon in either Feb or March 2015 for approx 7-10 days. We will have our infant with us which at that time, she will be 18 months old. We are open to most things and as we are also saving for a house, are budget conscious. We are both in our late twenties and will be traveling from NZ. Is their a particular area that I should be looking into or a suitable resort that a little one would be welcomed at? (Or an area to be weary of perhaps?)

Thanks in advance,

John

Tauranga, New...
5 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 2015 honeymoon with 18mnth old

* when I meant budget conscious, I wasn't meaning cheap, just that we don't want to be paying thousands per night :)

Thanks

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,267 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2015 honeymoon with 18mnth old

John - pick up a copy of "Hawaii for Dummies," a highly-regarded travel guidebook that covers all the Islands. And get a good map of Hawaii as well. Pull up www.gohawaii.com. It's terribly commercial, but helpful for first-timers.

1) Familiarize yourself with your options. Any of the major Islands would be fine.

2) Think about what you would like to do. What features of the various Islands appeal to you?

3) Will you rent a car? Without a car, your only real option is the City of Honolulu on the Island of Oahu.

4) Establish how many nights you will be in Hawaii.

5) Establish a nightly accommodations budget - so we can help you with some ideas.

You are wise to plan ahead for (our) winter. We can pelt you with a million random ideas ... but at this point ... it's time to do some reading.

Tauranga, New...
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 2015 honeymoon with 18mnth old

BLBL - Thanks for your insights and advice. I will get into the reading and researching (actually started yesterday).

Yes will rent a car

Looking at 7-10 nights (depending on costs and deals etc)

Around $200-250 USD per night is what I'll ideally be looking at.

Right, I'll do some reading up and hopefully get some good ideas along the way

For the women, what was your favorite thing to do or experience? I'm doing the entire honeymoon planning etc as my fiancé is doing the majority of our wedding. She has no idea where we are looking at going so am trying to make it something to remember (she is easygoing but not great at heights)

Cheers

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,267 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2015 honeymoon with 18mnth old

<<For the women, what was your favorite thing to do or experience? I'm doing the entire honeymoon planning etc as my fiancé is doing the majority of our wedding. She has no idea where we are looking at going so am trying to make it something to remember (she is easygoing but not great at heights)>> John, that is so sweet ... so please get back to us after you have more specific questions. Get a sense of what she might like ... narrow it down a bit based on what you know. Then when you have an Island picked ... we can help you make it special. For example - it is whale season on Maui when you plan to come. They really put on a show. But whatever Island you choose (I know I am being redundant) we can help you with a focus she will like ... yet accommodate the little one.

While your nightly budget is "doable" in some areas with a condo or older hotel ... try to hike it a bit.

Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2015 honeymoon with 18mnth old

Hi John,

I've been to Hawaii twice now and am heading over in 2 weeks with 2 one year old babies. So I would be happy to help with any suggestions with travelling with little ones when I return.

I'd definitely suggest hiring a car and staying on the north shore for a couple of nights. There are some great houses to rent at reasonable prices. Turtle bay resort would be too pricey for you. We booked our house through HomeAway.com. Have a look on there. As for where to stay at Waikiki we have always just stayed at the Aston Waikiki Circle which is a great spot and under US $200 a night but is more of a studio room with two double beds. It could work with a baby but there is no separating yourself from them while they are sleeping. This time we are staying in an apartment. I will let you know what it's like.

We are taking our own porta cot as the hotel doesn't supply them and its free to take on Jetstar. You can hire them over there for about $50 a week.

As for things to do, we have done most of the touristy activities on our previous trips but never with a baby. This time we won't be doing as much but are definitely going to the zoo, walk up to Diamond head, Luau at the Polynesian Cultural Centre. These are things that you can do with a baby. Hope I've helped a little bit.

Jess

Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2015 honeymoon with 18mnth old

Jess,

I'd be interested to hear how you went in Hawaii?

How was your apartment? Would you recommend it?

Thanks,

Tracey

7. Re: 2015 honeymoon with 18mnth old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2015, 05:15