We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hawaii Itinerary Help Please!!

Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Hawaii Itinerary Help Please!!

Hi Everyone,

We are looking at a vacation to Hawaii this summer. We are going to be there for 8 days. We for sure want to spend a few days at the Grand Wailea on Maui. What would be another great island and resort for us to also go to? We are the family of 5, with three teenagers, so we would love the resort to be family friendly, but also very nice. We are also looking for a very adventurous vacation, so I'm not sure what island would be best for this. Thanks in advance!

Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,636 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hawaii Itinerary Help Please!!

With only 8 days you don't have time for another island other than maybe a ferry trip over to Lanai or Moloka`i. An interisland flight can easily eat up a half day. There should be plenty to keep you busy on Maui. You could do some hiking on Haleakala and out in Hana.

Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,754 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hawaii Itinerary Help Please!!

1 island only, especially after a long flight with teens! If the Grand Wailea appeals for your family just go there and enjoy.

Level Contributor
24,300 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hawaii Itinerary Help Please!!

I guess i don't know what you mean by family friendly. I really don't know anywhere in Hawaii that is family unfriendly.

When we went with our teen age kids (both girls) they went to Maui and Oahu, and then only wanted to go to Oahu after that first time. Much more that they could do within easy walkng of the hotel and on their own. They love the beach and the chance to meet lots of kids their age, and they loved all of the shops and the International Market Place to look through.

Once you decide on which island you will go to, I suggest you post on that island forum for help with accomodations.

Unfortunately the International Market Place has been closed and is being remodeled.

I agree you only want to do one island, but I would recommend Oahu.

Edited: 12 March 2014, 15:47
Level Contributor
21,973 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hawaii Itinerary Help Please!!

One week = One island.

I agree with Placebets that your teens would probably enjoy Waikiki, where they can get around independently some of the time. You could also split the stay with a couple of nights at Turtle Bay on Oahu's north shore -- feels like 'another island'.

If you choose Maui, teens usually prefer to be near Lahaina and the Whalers Village mall. Look at Honua Kai for a condo-tel atmosphere in a quite new building.

We fly AA to Hawaii most winters. I recommend booking a nonstop on a widebody aircraft on the longest leg of your flight. We buy coach and use miles to upgrade to first.

Reserve your rental car for airport pickup now. Summer is busy.

Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,332 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hawaii Itinerary Help Please!!

Always count your nights, not your days. Looks like you have 7 nights ... so you only have time for one Island. You'd need at least 10 nights to reasonably visit two Islands.

Understand that you will fly between Islands, and that with 5 people - that really adds up $$. Also, you will lose at least 1/2 day with each Island transition. And keep in mind that you are traveling during high season.

You could easily spend a month on Maui ... no need to rush off. If you want 3 nights in Wailea, how about the other 4 nights in West Maui (Ka'anapali) at the Westin VILLAS (not resort and spa) or Honua Kai or Ka'anapali Ali'i. I think your teens would prefer Ka'anapali anyway.

I realize that you are asking for ideas for another Island, but you aren't giving yourself enough time on Maui as is. If you are flying in and out of Honolulu - you could easily spend time on Oahu. But like Maui, Oahu has a TON of things to see and do. You need time ....

(LOL! Grand Wailea ... pretty adventuresome!)

6. Re: Hawaii Itinerary Help Please!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2015, 05:28
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor