We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Cars and Insurance

johnson city, tn
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
Rental Cars and Insurance

In order to rent a car am I required to have my own policy, or do I just pay for one time rental insurance per every car rental? Would it be cheaper to get a non owner's liability policy?

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
21,964 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental Cars and Insurance

Do you have your own car insurance? I simply take my own insurance proof card with me and never a problem. If you do not own a car and don't have insurancefor one, I would suggest talking to an local agent about vacation car insurance before you go. The rental insurance is outrageous!

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,104 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental Cars and Insurance

We have car insurance through our credit card. But you do want to read the policy very carefully to make sure you are covered for every eventuality.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
21,397 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental Cars and Insurance

Aloha,

You will not be able to rent a car without a driver's license.

Dallas
Level Contributor
20,593 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental Cars and Insurance

We also get insured by our credit card company.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
45,371 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental Cars and Insurance

Did you get a driver's license, then? I recall your prior posts and that you didn't have one. NO ONE will rent a car to you without a driver's license and either a credit card or a debit card. If you use a debit card, be warned that not all companies accept them-and those that do will put a hefty "block" on your funds.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
21,397 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental Cars and Insurance

Aloha,

You noticed that too, I see, SW.

Aloha

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
45,371 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rental Cars and Insurance

Yep, Jet.

Argle, we have all tried here, for 3 some years-to help you find a way to visit Hawaii. Sadly, it seems your wants are not correspondent to the facts.

Maybe you should look into a "voluntouring" trip, where you would work for a worthy organization like Habitat For Humanity in exchange for low cost lodgings and some other savings.

I am not trying to be mean--but the costs and facts are what they are--and you simply must accept that. Good luck and I hope you find an answer.

johnson city, tn
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Rental Cars and Insurance

I have a license now. I'm also getting a passport. I have the papers for that all filled-in and then just need a photo and money for the fees. Things are moving along slowly, but moving along. So am I to understand that a personal full coverage policy isn't required to rent a vehicle, but that rental insurance is absurd and that I need a credit card to do so. What type of card do you recommend and should I get non owner's coverage to avoid outrageous rental costs?

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
21,397 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Rental Cars and Insurance

Aloha,

Where else are you going?

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,198 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rental Cars and Insurance

You realize that you don't need a passport for Hawaii, yes?

Do you have a car in Tennessee? You need to talk with your insurance company at home and find out what they cover for a rental car ... driver? liability? If you are in an accident will the cover the other car and other driver? Most insurance companies will cover "something" for a rental ... but probably not every situation.

Many of us have credit cards that offer additional car rental coverage - which is a good thing. By this, I mean you have coverage by virtue of the fact that you have the credit card. If not, you can buy coverage when you rent the car. It is daily, and it is expensive.

You need a credit card to rent a car.