We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

honolulu

Normal, Illinois
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Topic
honolulu

Alright well my girlfriend and I will be in honolulu for 5 nights staying at Waikiki. I know this topic has been brought up before but I'm going to bring it up again. My girlfriend wants to take a day tour to the big island. I try to tell that we aren't staying long enough to do that but she insist that we do it. Shes been to Oahu before so she wanted to explore another island for a day. I think she wants to do it through a discover hawaii tour company. It's a little pricey so im not sure if I want to do it. I feel like it would be a hastle to do just for one day. What do you guys think? Are there any companies that make it worth the trip?

Mentioned in this post
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,759 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: honolulu

Yeah you will be tying up an entire day and only barely scratching the surface of the Big Island.

It can be done of course but will be a very long day for what will amount to a brief glimpse of the island.

Probably your best bet would be catch the first flight over to either Kona or Hilo, rent a car and hit the spots you want to hit rather than what the tour does. That way you can spend as much or little time at each and not be tied to a schedule except your return flight which canbe the last of the day.

Mentioned in this post
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,158 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: honolulu

What is the main reason your girlfriend wants to go to the island of Hawaii for? If it's to see live lava flowing, that probably won't be happening. No surface flows are happening right now. Of course, that could change, it could be better or even worse, no telling what mother nature is up to!!

Mentioned in this post
Normal, Illinois
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: honolulu

the only problem with the car rental is that im only 21 and not sure if i would want to pay there crazzy fees....

Normal, Illinois
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: honolulu

@ fishdiva...she says she wants to see all of which is not possible lol...We wont be headed there until may so who knows...I guess we should probably have a plan if we are going to pay over 300 to go to the big island....

Normal, Illinois
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: honolulu

the tour company she was looking at is @ overislandtours.com has anybody heard of this company?

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
46,073 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: honolulu

You could spend a month on the Big Island and not "see it all." If she wants to see Volcanoes National Park and the Hilo area -- fine. With or without lava flow ... the Park is amazing.

I can see why you want to skip the rental car.

I would take Roberts Hawaii for the tour instead of Discover Hawaii - but match them up and see what your preferences might be. For two of you ... $600 or more ...

Would I do it? Not if I only had 5 nights on Oahu.

Mentioned in this post
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
Roberts Hawaii
Roberts Hawaii
1,248 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Discover Hawaii Tours
Discover Hawaii Tours
3,916 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,158 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: honolulu

Any reason why you can't spend your whole time on the island of Hawaii?

Mentioned in this post
Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,897 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: honolulu

Aloha,

Probably b/c of the car rental issue.

Dallas
Level Contributor
25,131 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: honolulu

"I try to tell that we aren't staying long enough to do that but she insist that we do it."

O.K. I'm going to try to be realistic about this. I think its a bad idea......but if she doesn't think it's a bad idea, then you have two choices as i see it.

First, just go along with her and make her happy unless you can convince her it's a bad idea and you are not going to learn anything new on here to help with your argument.

Second choice, put your foot down and TELL her you are not going to do it !! Then, after you get back from the Big Island and she is still mad at you, maybe you can enjoy the rest of your trip.

Good luck and let us know how this works out for you. By the way, I already know but I'm sure others here might be interested.

Aloha

Mentioned in this post
10. Re: honolulu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 March 2015, 04:23