We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheapest way to ship stuff to Hawaii

Overland Park...
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
Save Topic
Cheapest way to ship stuff to Hawaii

We live part-time in Hawaii and are trying find the least expensive way to ship our clothing and stuff back and forth. We always have more than is allowed on the airplane. We've tried USPS but that can get pretty expensive for the amounts that we ship. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,392 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheapest way to ship stuff to Hawaii

I've seen commercials on the TV about this company. It's a membership type thing but might pay off in the end. Don't know how good they are……..or not.

https://www.shiptohawaii.com

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3,212 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheapest way to ship stuff to Hawaii

Is it easier to pay for extra luggage. It can't be as much as shipping? I brought 1 medium and 1 small suitcase for 2 months in FL this winter. I drove though but had tons of room even with bringing kitchen things to stock our new house. IF I was flying I would have had one carry on and one small suitcase. NOW going back, I have bought things to bring back.

Overland Park...
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheapest way to ship stuff to Hawaii

thanks fishdiva, I'll check that out.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,515 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheapest way to ship stuff to Hawaii

Check UPS rates. If you go online to www.ups.com you can do estimates. If you open a basic account with them, do your own packing, and drop off at a UPS store you save 10%. I think they call it an occasional account. I've had one for years.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,890 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheapest way to ship stuff to Hawaii

I use the post office. If you are not in a hurry - they ship on a ship ... and it can take up to a month. Sometimes a lot less! So I have shipped the things I needed right away with the Post Office at a higher rate (by plane) and the things that can wait take the slow boat.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
22,136 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheapest way to ship stuff to Hawaii

Aloha,

I've never found a less expensive method of shipment than USPS standard post for large packages.

I assume you're already taking the maximum allowable, affordable extra bags on the plane.

Aloha

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,781 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheapest way to ship stuff to Hawaii

The USPS parcel rate that goes by ship would work well for return, but the timing of arrival is not very certain, so I would not use it for anything you are taking to Hawaii unless you can afford to wait for it.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,890 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheapest way to ship stuff to Hawaii

<<The USPS parcel rate that goes by ship would work well for return, but the timing of arrival is not very certain, so I would not use it for anything you are taking to Hawaii unless you can afford to wait for it.>>

I have been in this situation as well - shipping boxes to Hawaii. And I made arrangements at my accommodations to accept the packages and timed the mailing of the packages to coincide with my arrival as much as I could. I flew with what I needed for a couple weeks.

Overland Park...
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Cheapest way to ship stuff to Hawaii

Thanks to all for your help.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,515 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cheapest way to ship stuff to Hawaii

Shipping USPS standard rate may be OK from the west coast, but it can take 6 weeks from the east coast. I know this from sad experience.