We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Earthquake tsunami question

new jersey
Level Contributor
511 posts
Save Topic
Earthquake tsunami question

Okay..I have to ask this question...I know California just had an earthquake and from my years of observation..everytime there's an earthquake that starts at one point it causes a few months down the road an earthquake somewhere else (for example..just example..if in January there was an earthquake in Turkey, then later in May earthquake in Chile )..I know seismetologists has said things aren't related but I have noticed that once one earthquake starts it triggers another earthquake somewhere so I don't care what seismetologist says.

In Japan I know that there are "undercover" places when alarm sounds...does Hawaii have anything that sounds alarm? Tsunami warnings ,etc? I am not frightened or losing sleep but we will be in Hawaii for three weeks in May, and just want to have knowlege and be alarmed.. Things happen and we can't always prevent it..

I treat this like there are sharks in ocean but doesn't mean you encounter them...but still want to have knowledge in event something happens...

Thanks..

california
Level Contributor
842 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Earthquake tsunami question

Hey there, I'm a Californian and we spend a week or two in Hawaii almost every year. So I'm familiar with earthquakes. I've lived through plenty (never even felt the ones the past few days here in So Cal). I have never been a tsunami warning. But after the one in Thailand on Christmas Day several years ago, I do think about it when we are in Hawaii. I believe they do have a warning system. I'm sure that given what happened in Japan and Thailand, if you were to contact your hotel and ask what they have in place to warn people in the event of a tsunami, I'm sure they would have a detailed plan. So, that would be my advice to you. Maybe someone who lives in HI can give you more information.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,822 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Earthquake tsunami question

Every island has tsunami warning sirens at all areas that could be impacted by a tsunami. Local phone books will have evacuation maps and you'll see road signs showing routes.

http://scd.hawaii.gov/

Loveland, Colorado
Level Contributor
105 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Earthquake tsunami question

Check out www.noaa.com for information on warning systems throughout the U.S. including Hawaii. There are sirens thoughout the state. Your hotel will also provide information in their in-room directory. You'll be fine but there is nothing wrong with being prepared.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,349 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Earthquake tsunami question

Hun, we road through 2 tsunami warnings, back to back while visiting. The Chilian one and the Japanese quake. There are sirens that go off all over the island every hour, on the hour. We were on the 4th floor or above for both so had no need to move. We filled our bath tubs with fresh water, made sure we had located flashlights and at the first warning my son raced out to buy bottled water and move our car to the top of the garage.

All just actions that we do at home when there are severe, bad weather warnings here at home.

Be prepared, know what to do, but don't obsess about it. Just enjoy the sunshine!

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,822 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Earthquake tsunami question

We were on Kaua‘i a couple of years ago when there was a tsunami warning...very few tourists actually even knew what the sirens going off meant, must less, what to do. I think it's very smart to know as it could save your life.

Our earthquake Friday night did not cause a tsunami, thankfully. I'm about 4 miles from the epicenter in La Habra...it's been a fun couple of days, rockin' and a rollin'.

Oh and you sure don't want to be right under one of those sirens when they do the monthly test......I about jumped out of my skin, hehehehe.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,168 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Earthquake tsunami question

Follow the instructions in the area in which you stay for tsunami evacuation instructions. There are audible sirens, cell phone notifications, and news updates on the local channels.

It is foolhardy to think that just because you are on the upper floor of a building in a Tsunami evacuation zone….you would not have the potential for compromise.. One just has to look at video from Phuket 2004 and Japan 2011 to see the power of the Ocean and it's destructive path. Such tragedy.

We, too were in Hawaii for the past two evacuations and regardless of our building level and location, we promptly followed the officials warning and evacuated the area. We did not want to endanger ourselves or the lives of the Emergency responders…

We were impressed with the organization during the "Fan-out" and appreciate the professionals and all of their guidance in order to keep folks safe.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3,717 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Earthquake tsunami question

Yes 3Chihuahuas, though we have not been in Hawaii during an actual tsunami warning, I was on the beach in Ka'anapali one day last February when the sirens went off, and it wasn't straight up noon (when they would run the tornado sirens as a test in Oklahoma), but a rather odd time so it REALLY got my attention. There were NO other people around us that even knew what the sirens were, which I found kind of scary. I informed those around us what they were, and went to find a staff person at our resort to see if this was a test or was there indeed a tsunami warning. Fortunately it was apparently just a test of the sirens.

Like you and others I think it is always wise to be informed and have an emergency plan, even when traveling.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,714 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Earthquake tsunami question

On Kaua`i they test our tsunami sirens at 11:45 on the first Monday of the month.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3,717 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Earthquake tsunami question

Thanks, Pzp! That is good to know. I need to make certain I find out if Maui's test schedule is the same before our trip in January. Then I won't have to wonder if it happens again. :-) I'm guessing it might be the same time as yours there on lovely Kauai?

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Earthquake tsunami question

The tsunami test sirens sound the same as the real thing? At Cannon Beach on the Oregon Coast, the weekly tsunami test siren is the sound of cows mooing.