We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which islands ??

Canada
Level Contributor
2,036 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Which islands ??

Hi

My husband and I would like to visit Hawaii (summer 2015). Husband was there 40 years ago. We are early 60's.

I am planning on 14-17 days

I am thinking we could do 3 islands

If this is feasible which 3 would you recommend??

We would like to do some sightseeing of course and we love the beach and fine dining and eating at some places with island style dishes.

Thanks

robin

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which islands ??

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28932-i36-k735926…

Hi, Robin! I just put this together for beachbum ... same question, more or less. These are threads from the past few days for folks who are just getting started. Great information!

Feel free to post again as questions arise.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,496 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which islands ??

14 day = 2 islands. With 17 you might do 3 of the smaller islands. If fine dining is a must, O`ahu will offer you the most choices, but the other islands do have some. Do some reading. You can start with the Summary of Each Island found under Top Questions on this page. Get a copy of "Hawai`i for Dummies," a good overall guide book. Each island is unique, and each person here has their favorite(s). In the end, you really need to make the choice. There is no "best" option, and you really can't go far wrong whichever you choose.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
41,756 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which islands ??

Good on being an early planner - you have plenty of time to research and discover which islands would suit you best. If you share more of your activities and what you hope to do/see, that helps narrow it down sometimes. And while you could visit up to 3 islands, you could also stay on one island - the choice is yours! :)

Canada
Level Contributor
2,036 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which islands ??

Thanks guys

Its always scary when I start planning the next vacation

Done many and always appreciate the forums expertise !!!!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
41,756 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which islands ??

Shouldn't be scary - Hawaii is lovely, but it is pretty amazing that each island is very unique/different, AND we all have our personal favorites, hence why we ask people to research each island. I remember reading just a basic travel book about Hawaii (think it was Frommers) . . . and while each island sounded amazing, Kauai is what drew me in and that was my first island visit . . . and it is still my favorite. Others have surprised me - like I didn't think I would really like the Big Island - sounded a bit bleak to me with all the lava, but I loved the Big island. So prepare to be surprised . . . and I am sure you will find one or two islands that will be a good fit for you and your hubby. Happy planning! :)

6. Re: Which islands ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2015, 05:17