We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time romantic getaway to Hawaii - which Island is best?

New York City, New...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
1st time romantic getaway to Hawaii - which Island is best?

we are planning our 15 year anniversary trip to Hawaii. We will have 7 to 9 days total and would like to go sometime in September/October. Can't decide whether to stay in just one island (which one?!) or two. We love nature and would want to have the opportunity to hike/scuba/maybe take surf lessons and also just relax on the beach. Appreciate your suggestions!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,573 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time romantic getaway to Hawaii - which Island is best?

Aloha Laura - do start of by reading under the Top Questions a summary of the islands. www.gohawaii.com is also helpful. . . . because you need to first pick your island.

A good rule of thumb is one island per week, so unless you can extend, it would be best to see just one.

What about nightlife or shopping? Will you rent a car?

Best scuba is on the Big Island, hiking and other water sports on all islands.

When you decide which island, post on that specific forum - and if you want help with lodgings, do post your nightly budget and preferences. Congrats on the 15th! :)

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,328 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time romantic getaway to Hawaii - which Island is best?

Welcome to TripAdvisor, Laura!

+ Always count your nights, not your days. Unless you have at least 10 nights, you should stick to one Island.

+ There is no such thing as "best." You need to determine what you want to do and what you want to see ... and then chose your very own "best."

+ Do you have a good travel guidebook for Hawaii? Many of us recommend "Hawaii for Dummies" which covers all the Islands. And get a good map of Hawaii as well. Pull up www.gohawaii.com. It's terribly commercial and sketchy - but helpful for first-timers. Familiarize yourself with your options ... you will be amazed!

+ Understand that you will need a car on any of the major Islands with the exception of the City of Honolulu on the Island of Oahu. To really see Oahu ... you will need a car.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,207 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time romantic getaway to Hawaii - which Island is best?

Agree with coalminer & BL completely.

Here's a quiz that might be helpful:

www.hawaiigaga.com/best-hawaiian-island.aspx

Edited: 16 April 2014, 00:21
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,113 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time romantic getaway to Hawaii - which Island is best?

There are direct flights from New York now too. I am not sure if they go all year though, so I would check that first. It will be a long flight, but so very worth it if you don't have to have a long layover in LAX or ?? to change planes.

Congratulations on the 15th anniversary. September is a nice time to travel to Hawaii as it is quieter with all the kids just back to school.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
24,456 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st time romantic getaway to Hawaii - which Island is best?

In addition to the excellent advice from BLBL and coalminer, while you're researching, some things to take into consideration:

Scuba and snorkeling is best on the BI followed by Maui. Oahu has some interesting wreck dives. The BI has the unique, worldclass pelagic black water and manta ray night dives.

Beginning surfing is best on Oahu. Oahu and Maui have the best beaches and restaurants and are the busiest two islands.

If you decide on the BI you'll want to avoid dates within a week of Ironman (October 11) and you will really need two lodging bases, one west and one east, due to the size. One lodging base on the other islands is fine.

September has more consistently good weather and ocean conditions than October but October usually isn't bad.

The north shore of Kauai is spectacularly gorgeous in September.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,113 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st time romantic getaway to Hawaii - which Island is best?

LOVE your test 3 chis! I just participated, and we have to go to Maui! Now why am I not surprised?

California
Level Contributor
9,217 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st time romantic getaway to Hawaii - which Island is best?

"The north shore of Kauai is spectacularly gorgeous in September." I second this thought. Everything on your wish list can be found here.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,573 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st time romantic getaway to Hawaii - which Island is best?

ah 22kauai - your bias is showing! But I couldn't agree more!! :)

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
24,456 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st time romantic getaway to Hawaii - which Island is best?

Well, the scuba and snorkeling isn't very good there and the OP mentioned scuba. But you'd be hard pressed to find a more romantic spot. I guess it comes down to priorities. Each island has its pros and cons.

Besides, what was I thinking? I thought after 3chis screwed everything up by letting the cat out if the bag, we all had a pact to stop mentioning Kauai and the north shore in September! :-)

Edited: 16 April 2014, 01:26
La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,207 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st time romantic getaway to Hawaii - which Island is best?

hehehehehe...you noticed, I didn't mention one dang thing about how wonderful September on the North Shore of Kaua‘i is....but I will just one more time ;)

Kaua‘i has to be one of the most beautiful and romantic places on Earth....North Shore in September is beyond stunning. Warm water, warm, fragrant breezes.....Others have said this and I concur...the beauty is not underwater, but looking back at the mountains. Did I mention romantic?? Hubby and I are going on 40 years...believe me, it's romantic! Now I'll shut the *ell up!

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29218-i304-k73699…