We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mumbai to Hawaii Honeymoon

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
26 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Mumbai to Hawaii Honeymoon

We are looking for a 2 week first trip to hawaii for our honeymoon end dec 2014 (knowing about peak season) from Mumbai. NEED SUGGESTIONS AND ANSWERS FROM YOU EXPERIENCED TRAVELLERS :

1. The fastest economy way to travel Hawaii. We are considering a layover at a city in US or EU if we get good connection. It would be a long flight.

2. I have decided to travel our own to explore the islands of maui,oahu,big island premierly. Should we consider a night halt each to lanai and molokai from maui?

3. How much does it cost to travel between the islands say maui to big island in dec end?

4. I guess honolulu would be best to celebrate new yrs and xmas time? Or should we consider maui?

Mentioned in this post
Mumbai
Mumbai
Maharashtra, India
Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
26 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Mumbai to Hawaii Honeymoon

Thanks - yes i was thinking Las Vegas for 2 nights if we got a good price and connection with flights.

I shall def consider booking car rental and island hotels and tickets by this month.

Thanks a lot.

Any suggestions where to stay in Waikiki during NYE ? looking at budget of 250USD? prefer on the beach hotels.

Mentioned in this post
Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
1,569 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Mumbai to Hawaii Honeymoon

It seems you are a bit confused-you have to decide what you want to do-my suggestions would be to get a book or two, Lonely Planet, Dummies, Frommers, Fodors Etc. Get some ideas about what the islands have to offer, what you like and then come back here and ask specific questions.

We have been to the islands 14 times-we always go to Honolulu (Waikiki Beach), and Maui (Kaanapali Beach). We enjoy relaxing, the beaches, good restaurants, and specific activities such as the north shore, Halekulani etc.

With two weeks I would recommend two islands, Waikiki, and Maui or the Big Island. My idea of vacation is not spend my whole time traveling-if you try to do what you mentioned, that's what you will end up doing-but then, if that's what you want!

If you want to see a live volcano, then you will have to go the Big Island, Maui has Haleakala. If you want to do some shopping, Honolulu is your best option. You do not need a car in Honolulu, but the other islands would be pretty hard without a car-would you rent a car, would you feel comfortable driving on the "wrong" side of the road?

Mentioned in this post
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
39,607 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Mumbai to Hawaii Honeymoon

You might be disappointed with the "celebrations" for the holidays on a neighbor island. Hawai'i is not too big on that, outside of Waikiki. In fact, most of the Christmas events happen much earlier in December, and by actual Christmas, people just want to be at home with their families, and many things are closed (at least on the Neighbor Islands, not meaning Waikiki).

If you want some sort of big New Year's celebration, you should probably be in a city.

If you have any concerns about finding more affordable lodgings, then you are coming at the wrong time. The first two weeks of December are a very good time to come, and the Christmas mood will be in full swing.

In Hawai'i, people jump on the Christmas theme in October now, so by actual Christmas it is old news and then of course ends immediately.

People don't come to Hawai'i for the holidays to find action. From the US and Canada, people come to get away from winter, and are in heaven just to be on a beach with sunshine. They don't come to play in clubs or party for the most part. Waikiki is where people go who want to do that. Vegas of course is all about partying.

I would use kayak.com to look for flight routes, although you already know the most likely gateways as given above.

Re the islands, don't even think about adding Lana'i or Moloka'i on this trip, although you could do a one day sail to Moloka'i from Maui.

The Big island will have no nightlife, and the chance you will see volcanic action is rather slim. If you want to hike, swim, snorkel, and sun, then it is a great choice, but you seem to like things more lively. The Big Island has fewer people, and people like the quiet here. You don't seem to be looking for quiet, so I would stick to Oahu and Maui as more your style.

The pricing for the holidays is staggeringly high, so again, if you are on a budget, don't come then. You're going to pay double what you would two weeks earlier.

Another reason people come here over holidays is that's when the kids are out of school and they get some vacation time from work for the two holidays. You don't seem to have those concerns, so why would you want to spend a lot of money just to be with all the families who can only come then due to school schedules? Unless you are school and have a holiday then ...

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
14. Re: Mumbai to Hawaii Honeymoon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 April 2015, 05:15