We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon Planning

Auburn, Pennsylvania
11 posts
Save Topic
Honeymoon Planning

Hello, My fiance and I are planning our honeymoon currently and just wanted to try to get some feedback on our plans and see if there is anything we could do better.

We are planning to go for 14 days in mid August and spend 4 days on Maui and 10 days on Kauai. We are spending more time on Kauai partially because the hotels seem to be cheaper and we like the outdoors a lot. We aren't huge beach people, but I think being the only people on a beach next to a jungle would be awesome. Waikiki isn't what we are after.

Activities on Maui (~3.5 Days):

Haleakala National Park

Road to Hana

Molikiki Crater & Beach

Activities on Kauai (~9 Days):

Napali Coast Kalalau Trail

Hiking to a remote beach

Waimen Canyon

Biking Waimen Canyon

Boat Tour

(Need to plan more)

We found plane tickets from Philadelphia that cost $1100 for all flights (including island connectors), which I think is a pretty good deal. Thoughts?

We just wanted to get some advice from people who have experience visiting the islands and see if we are doing anything that doesn't make sense. We would like to keep the car/lodging/airfare low - hoping to be in the $4k to $5k range.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,160 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon Planning

Aloha and welcome to the Hawaii forum. I can tell you most folks will recommend more of an equal split, but I am partial to Kauai myself, so . . . just letting you know. Also, I would recommend that you post this separately - on the Maui forum and on the Kauai forum to get the best/most specific help. Also, if you would like lodging recommendations, do tell us what type you are looking for and your nightly lodging budget. Happy planning! :)

Auburn, Pennsylvania
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon Planning

We would like to spend $100-$150 a night on lodging. We don't need anything fancy and the rooms view isn't important. We would rather spend our money on activities than a hotel that we aren't going to be in. The only requirement is that its clean.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
40,160 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon Planning

I usually stay in condos . . . you don't have to cook, but I like having the fridge & microwave as well as they extra room - I would look at booking a condo. Your budget is on the low end but doable, if you get cracking on it now. I generally start with vrbo.com. :)

Edited: 25 April 2014, 18:39
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,821 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon Planning

I just realized that you have two threads going Treillw. I gave you more information on the other one, about getting a rental car, and I agree with coalminer, as I suggested a condo as well.

Congratulations on the upcoming honeymoon too. A wonderful place to start married life together!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
40,160 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon Planning

Actually they have 3, as they followed my advice to post on both Kauai and Maui too. Thought they might get more help that way. :)

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,821 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon Planning

Good thinking coalminer!

7. Re: Honeymoon Planning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2015, 06:16