We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many nights in Hana for a Maui/Kauai trip... ?

Australia
Level Contributor
86 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
How many nights in Hana for a Maui/Kauai trip... ?

Hi Hawaii Experts,

I'm in the final stages of planning our first trip to Hawaii and I just wanted some opinions on how many nights to give Hana?

So far I have 4 nights (4 days) booked in upcountry Maui, then 2 nights (2.5 days) in Hana, then 6 nights (5 days) in Kauai.

So what I'm wondering is should I take one of those nights in Hana and add it to Kauai? Or leave the split as is? I'm just worried that 5 days won't give us enough time to see all there is to see in beautiful Kauai?

Also we love hiking and exploring but are not really interested in lying on the beach or by a resort pool :)

Thanks!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,949 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How many nights in Hana for a Maui/Kauai trip... ?

I would stay only one night in Hana. :)

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,972 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How many nights in Hana for a Maui/Kauai trip... ?

I think I'd only stay one night in Hana as well.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,279 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How many nights in Hana for a Maui/Kauai trip... ?

When are you visiting Hawaii? Will you be spending time on Oahu too?

Do you really want to stay Upcountry on Maui? (Not interested in ocean activities/snorkeling or restaurants in South or West Maui?)

Many people 'do' Hana in one long day without any stay there. I'd add more time to (also heavily tropical) Kauai.

Australia
Level Contributor
86 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How many nights in Hana for a Maui/Kauai trip... ?

We are travelling in December and definitely plan on driving around Maui to explore the south and west. The only part I'm not sure about is the two nights in Hana... I wonder now if that was a mistake and the time would be better spent elsewhere?

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,412 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How many nights in Hana for a Maui/Kauai trip... ?

Just remember that you won't be able to see everything on either island, even if you had a week on each. So you need to prioritize, and then see what happens! The weather may dictate what you are able to do on any given day. December is during winter, and there may be a storm blowing through on any given day. Rain can shut down some of the roads as well. On the other hand, you may get beautiful sun every day too!

I'm in the one night for Hana camp as well, or make it a 12 hour day. That way, you can pick a day with good weather prospects.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,524 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How many nights in Hana for a Maui/Kauai trip... ?

What this is is just matter of personal opinion, wants and needs. I could spend a week in or around Hana and wish or more. It all depends on what you want to do and how long you can take being "away from it all". I certainly wouldn't take one day off Maui and add it to Kauai.

Australia
Level Contributor
86 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How many nights in Hana for a Maui/Kauai trip... ?

Thanks for the replies everyone... perhaps I'm just over thinking it and should leave the plan as is. I'm sure the holiday will be wonderful regardless of how many days in each location. Not sure why I'm having so much trouble making up my mind!

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,055 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How many nights in Hana for a Maui/Kauai trip... ?

Upcountry and Hana may be very cool and rainier in Dec.so pack accordingly. If you indeed plan on touring West and South I'd only stay one night in Hana.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3,695 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How many nights in Hana for a Maui/Kauai trip... ?

Ah Badlittlekiwi, Hawaii just poses SO many difficult choices doesn't it? :-) As said, it's really kinda tough to make a really bad choice, for every island and each area has its own charms and beauty. And it really is impossible to "see it all" in a few days. I still have lots of stuff on my "to-do" Maui list, and I've spent a couple of months total on island! :-)

I'm with FishDiva in the "I Adore Hana" group! We begin our Maui vacations each time with a few nights in Hana before spending 2 or 3 weeks on west Maui, and we ADORE Hana! I think even if you did spend only 1 night, you will certainly have the chance to explore and experience more of Hana than the RTH day drivers do.

Miss JOan is absolutely right in that weather can play into things in Hana (and the RTH!). Almost every resort is located on the leeward side of the islands where it is less rainy. Hana is on the east & windward side, which gets WAY more rain, especially in winter.

If you do overnight in Hana, please know you need to take provisions with you, or you could go hungry. NO kidding! Dining options are extremely limited, and there is no late night Hana. Really. There is no real grocery store as you would know a supermarket. There's the fabled Hasegawa General Store which is great fun to visit and make a few purchases, even if just Spam musubi! :-) LIMITED grocery items. And there's the Hana Ranch Store, which is smaller than a lot of convenience stores here on the mainland. Nice, but again, limited and not open late at all. These are not negatives, just FYI's. We always take stuff with us from Kahului for breakfast, lunch, etc. And we have asked around and got some fresh caught fish to grill at our condo for dinner before, which was delightful!!

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,279 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: How many nights in Hana for a Maui/Kauai trip... ?

Ah, you're visiting in winter. NOT the greatest season for Hana or Upcountry. (Nor for Napili and Kapalua). Very, very few visitors choose to stay in Upcountry at any time of year intead of along the warmer beaches of West and South Maui. (Your money; your choice. I just want you to know the 'cons' for this plan.) Last winter Kula was cut off by rain-closed road erosion. I'm certainly not knocking Hana -- just considering that you will have similar heavily tropical conditions on Kauai. (Where will you stay there? Poipu?)

My DH and I have visited Hawaii in winter for decades, staying *south* for two to four weeks on Kauai, Maui and Oahu, and Kohala Coast on Big Island of Hawaii.