We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to visit Hawaii?

Seattle
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best time to visit Hawaii?

Is there a best time to visit or does it not make much difference? How far in advance do you book?

I'm concerned about vog, or trying to avoid it as much as possible. Is it seasonal? Would you book more last minute when it looks to be more clear?

TIA

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time to visit Hawaii?

I book 6 months in advance.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,510 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time to visit Hawaii?

It would really depend on when you are planning to come to Hawaii . . . Christmas/New years is the busiest time - and many folks book those trips a year in advance. Low season (late April/May and then Sept to early December) can be booked differently than peak winter months as well as busy summer.

Vog can vary - depends on what island, etc.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time to visit Hawaii?

My two favorite areas in Hawaii are generally VOG free year round: north shore of Kaua'i, and Kohala Coast on the Big Island. North Shore of Kaua'i is best during the summer months, and with the most reliably good weather in all the islands, the Kohala Coast is great any time.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
340 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time to visit Hawaii?

Yes there's a big difference. I like the summer months for the weather. Here's a good breakdown

hawaiigaga.com/best-time-to-visit-hawaii.aspx

I've been on websites that show vog forecasts. Very informative but I can't find it now. I don't think they can predict more than a week or two ahead.

I book as soon as I know I'm going. Sometimes 6 months, sometimes 1 month in advance. For a really nice place, like a vacation home, I'd book well in advance.

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
4,935 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time to visit Hawaii?

I book almost a year in advance and usually August-October. We do enjoy going in the winter for whale season on occasion, but enjoy the late summer and fall weather and snorkeling so much that's our preference. We stay in Kailua Kona and the mornings through late afternoon are fabulous, then if it is going to be voggy, it comes in then. It's never been a problem in any way for us.

Seattle
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Best time to visit Hawaii?

Thanks. I was actually wondering specifically about the island of Hawaii. Posted in the wrong forum.

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
4,935 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best time to visit Hawaii?

Several of us answered for the Big Island. Hope it helped.

Kent, United Kingdom
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best time to visit Hawaii?

when is the best time to go to Hawaii

and to visit 3 destinations Maoui , waikiki,and oahu

Kent, United Kingdom
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best time to visit Hawaii?

what is the annual weather forecast for Hawaii

and the best time to visit for traditional festivities

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,383 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best time to visit Hawaii?

SHAN, you really need to start your own thread.