We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Additional driver alamo?

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
196 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Additional driver alamo?

Hello everybody,

I have read that you have to pay for an additional driver. We are going to rent a car on Big Island and Maui. On the website from Alamo I couldn't find anything about the cost. Can anybody tell me what this might cost?

United States
Level Contributor
5,870 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Additional driver alamo?

Per their Facebook page, is usually 9.99 or 10.99 per day depending on location. Members of the free loyalty program "Alamo Insiders" are allowed to add one additional driver at no cost. If you are not a member you can enroll on the Alamo.com website.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,822 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Additional driver alamo?

As of June 16, 2014, Alamo Insiders program is discontinuing the free driver. Even if you have an existing reservation. There's been quite a few threads about it.

tripadvisor.com/…58248625

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29220-i86-k741815…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28932-i36-k744829…

To the OP, I'd suggest going through Discount Hawaii Car Rental or Costco (if you're a member) as they have pre-negotiated rates that include the extra driver.

http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/

so cal
Level Contributor
177 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Additional driver alamo?

The free addtl driver program is discontinued effective 6/16. I wad talk by the alamo rep the extra driver is $12.99/day

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
196 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Additional driver alamo?

We booked with a travelagent so changing the rental car company would cost us a lot. I did also try to contact alamo if we could do the online check in but I guess we can do that just a week before we leave since we then recieve the papers. 12,99 that would make it something like 200 dollars extra.

Ive read on the other post that they also hold the price of your rental car on you creditcard is that right? Would this be just the price from the car or the total renting price?

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,822 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Additional driver alamo?

Most will hold the full total price plus 20%. I would call Alamo about the additional driver fee, I believe there is a cap on the charge at around $65.00.

6. Re: Additional driver alamo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 May 2015, 05:17