We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 days in Hawaii-Honeymoon Ideas

Dalian, China
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
10 days in Hawaii-Honeymoon Ideas

My husband and I are gonna spend our honeymoon in Oct, roughly 10 nights in Hawaii. We both never went to Hawaii. I

Oahu is a must due to flight arrangement, and we plan to have the 2nd leg in oahu.

We haven't decide the 1st leg, and we're deciding between Big Island and Maui. Maui sounds more like a honeymoon destination, but my husband can't swim (he's afraid of water lol)!

So we'd love to hear from everyone else. so is 5 nights in Big Island for volcano and all other destinatins, another 5 in Oahu do-able? or 5 nights in Maui and other 5 in Oahu?

Thanks for your advice!

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,844 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 days in Hawaii-Honeymoon Ideas

Go to Maui. 5 nights is really short for such a large island as the Big Island and one of the best things about it is the diving and snorkeling. Plus October weather on the east side where Volcanoes National Park is can be really sketchy. There isn't a ton happening with our active volcano right now either. Maui has great beaches and some nightlife and is easier to sightsee in such a short time.

Edited: 04 August 2014, 02:10
Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,322 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 days in Hawaii-Honeymoon Ideas

If you can rent a car, 5 nights Maui & 5 nights Oahu.

If you can't drive in the U.S. then spend more time on Oahu & take a tour to one of the other islands that includes overnight.

Dalian, China
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 days in Hawaii-Honeymoon Ideas

Thank you!

We can drive in the US (I used to stay in the US for 3 yrs) but we mostly live on plains so we only have limited mountain driving mileage.I see the Road to Hana has a 20mph limit, so I am not sure if driving on Maui requires a 4X4 like Big Island or just a sedan ?

Edited: 04 August 2014, 03:36
Dalian, China
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 days in Hawaii-Honeymoon Ideas

Thanks!

I am currently thinking Rd to Hana, Haleakala National Park, Waianapanapa and Lahaina for 4 days and another day for relax. Is this itinerary do-able?

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,207 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 days in Hawaii-Honeymoon Ideas

Mia -- Road to Hana is a 12-hour day. It will take two hours up to the crater at Haleakala. I wouldn't do *both* in such a short time.

Each interisland flight will eat up half a day, door to door.

Maybe you'd enjoy splitting your stay right on Oahu, staying Waikiki and also Turtle Bay on Oahu's north shore. For a very short stay, Kauai might suit you best. This small island feels even smaller because so much of it can only be seen from a boat or the air. This is one of my picks for a helicopter or fixed wing airplane tour.

There are also day-tours from HNL to Kauai and to Volcanoes National Park on Big Island.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
25,063 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 10 days in Hawaii-Honeymoon Ideas

Please watch this video if you are planning on any water activities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MvPHBMyXDw

Mia, you don't need a 4x4 vehicle on any of the islands. You do not need it for the Road to Hana or for going up Haleakala. And you don't need it on the Big Island either. There is no where you can go with it! We usually book the economy car as it is the cheapest for gas, and easier for parking.

Congratulations on the upcoming honeymoon. You have picked a beautiful place to honeymoon!

7. Re: 10 days in Hawaii-Honeymoon Ideas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2015, 06:16