We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coeur D'Alene to Butte - get us off the freeway

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Coeur D'Alene to Butte - get us off the freeway

We, an active couple, are traveling from Coeur D'Alene to Butte at month end as part of a longer road trip. We have a full day before reaching Butte, and we'd appreciate your advice as to sights along the way. No fear of 30 or so mile detours from the interstate if it leads to highly scenic, wildlife, birdwatching, areas. Thank you.

Coeur d Alene, Idaho
Level Contributor
366 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coeur D'Alene to Butte - get us off the freeway

Some North Idaho suggestions;

1. Just east of Coeur d’ Alene over 4th of July Pass on Interstate 90 you will come to the the Old Mission State Park at Cataldo. It’s the oldest standing building in Idaho and was built by the Jesuit’s to serve the local Native American population. Easy access on and off freeway.

2. Stop in Kellogg and ride Gondola at Silver Mountain to top for great views of the area. Web site: www.silvermt.com

3. Stop in Wallace for several attractions to include Northern Pacific Railroad Depot Museum., Silver Sierra Mine Tour ( web site: www.silverminetour.org ), and The Oasis Bordello Museum (web site: http://myweb.cebridge.net/jmmayfield ). Wallace has a very historic old downtown (web site: www.wallaceidahochamber.com ) .

Lastly an alternative route from North Idaho into Montana on paved road would be to depart Interstate 90 at Kingston and take the Coeur d’ Alene River Road to Pritchard where you would drive through Murray and over Thompson Pass into Montana and down to Thompson Falls, Montana where you would hit Montana highway 200 and could rejoin the Interstate via Highway 200 at Missoula, Montana. This is a very scenic route along the Coeur d’ Alene River and up over Thompson Pass. Would probably add an hour to a trip as compared to a straight Interstate trip to Butte. Route is shown on State of Idaho road map.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coeur D'Alene to Butte - get us off the freeway

Thanks, nidahodave!!! I hoped you would respond; I enjoy your postings and observations. I've tracked our route options per your suggestions and will discuss with my SO. They will fill the day nicely en route to Butte.

FYI, from there we head to south Montana to see friends volunteering for the Forest Service, then Yellowstone, Glacier, Waterton and return on a fairly leisurely trip. Been all these places, love to go back.

Coeur d Alene, Idaho
Level Contributor
366 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coeur D'Alene to Butte - get us off the freeway

Enjoy your trip, its been a cool and dry summer so far over here, actually was snowing at higher elevations this morning (6/25/07). I'm trying to decide on a choice between my two favorite National Parks this year Glacier or Mt. Rainier.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coeur D'Alene to Butte - get us off the freeway

Tough decision to make. Follow the sun :)

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coeur D'Alene to Butte - get us off the freeway

Well, we are back from Yellowstone and Cody. We did the three things you suggested, and enjoyed ourselves. Thank you for such good advice. Of course as you know, the cool left, the heat began during our trip, but we did not mind it with our interest in travel and wildlife observing. Wonder what your decision was re: our two parks. The weather here apparently has been quite hot in our absence, but today, our first full day back, rain, thunder and, of course, lightning.

Coeur d Alene, Idaho
Level Contributor
366 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coeur D'Alene to Butte - get us off the freeway

Going to Mt. Rainier, concerned that Glacier will be too dry.

7. Re: Coeur D'Alene to Butte - get us off the freeway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 18:18