We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Last Insane Pointless Road Trip

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
177 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
One Last Insane Pointless Road Trip

I got a job in Portland, the place of my birth and probably where I'll die (and Rose City 'Til I Die, at that). I'll be moving, more than likely, the weekend of October 11, give or take a day or two.

I was just tossing around a few "hadn't done that yets" and wondering which ones I should target before leaving. Mind you, I have daughter visitations, so some things WILL get covered over the next few years, but there's a few things that won't have her interest. I need help winnowing these down to something doable in the next month.

How late in the season is Redfish Lake Lodge open?

Is Bear Lake worth it?

Do I risk my Honda Civic on the road to Jarbidge? How about Silver City?

Is Yellow Pine a good trip?

From which direction should I approach City of Rocks?

Anyone ever been to Aberdeen? Rockland? Ola? Arbon? Fernwood?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
401 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One Last Insane Pointless Road Trip

Wow, a lot of questions. I'll answer one of them. I went to Bear Lake this summer and was not very impressed. Big lake, nice blue color, but too cold to swim, not enough shade to enjoy the shores. Look at a picture and you will have seen everything there is to do there.

Twin Falls, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Twin Falls
Level Contributor
784 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One Last Insane Pointless Road Trip

I can give you a couple of answers!

The best way to approach City of Rocks is through Almo. Get off the freeway at the exit for Declo/Pomerelle Ski Resort. The road is paved for most of the way (though last year they were doing construction and it slowed the trip down a bit.)

Redfish Lake Lodge is open through September 27th. More beautiful than usual up there in the fall!

I haven't been to Yellowpine or Jarbidge or Silver City (yet.) There is a big fire burning in the Jarbidge area right now, and there's been talk of evacuating the town. May not be a good trip right now.

My brother lives between Boring and Sandy. He'd agree with you about Rose City!

Pug

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
4,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One Last Insane Pointless Road Trip

Hi

have you been to

Bruneau sand dunes short drive form Boise thru Mountain Home good day trip for children.

can play all day hikeing to the top of the dunes and there is a lake or two for fishing.

they also have an observatory there not sure when it is open. with the weather getting back cooler now is a good time to go before the snows come.

4. Re: One Last Insane Pointless Road Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 13:18