We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit in May or June - Bugs? Mud? Other Nuisances?

Level Contributor
1,439 posts
149 reviews
Save Topic
Visit in May or June - Bugs? Mud? Other Nuisances?

We're planning trip to Idaho in either May or June. Are there any types of nuisances we should be aware of, like lots of bugs or mud? I'm asking because I know that places in New England are plagued by black flies and lots of mud at certain times in the spring. We'd like to visit at the optimal time. Thanks.

Tomah, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
473 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visit in May or June - Bugs? Mud? Other Nuisances?

Idaho is a very large state - where are you planning to visit?

Level Contributor
1,439 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visit in May or June - Bugs? Mud? Other Nuisances?

Maybe starting at Boise, then a bit north I'm trying to plan out good scenic drive to take in some of Idaho and Montana. Not planning on going to the northern parts of the state(s), because we've already done them. Thanks.

Tomah, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
473 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visit in May or June - Bugs? Mud? Other Nuisances?

If you start in Boise and head up Hwy55 to Hwy95 to Lewiston; then cut across the state on Hwy12 to Lolo, MT; then back down Hwy93 to Hwy75 to Stanley and Sun Valley; then back across Hwy20 to Boise you will have seen a lot of Idaho. The stretch on Hwy12 is particularly pretty at that time of year. Yes, you will see some mosquitoes - but nothing like New England or the midwest get. This part of the state is mostly dry and any water is generally running (not stagnant). I highly doubt that you will have any problems with bugs or mud.

Level Contributor
1,439 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visit in May or June - Bugs? Mud? Other Nuisances?

Thanks for input about possible route! I'm not familiar with some of the towns mentioned (Lolo?), so I'll map it out and see how this route will work! Thanks.

Tomah, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
473 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visit in May or June - Bugs? Mud? Other Nuisances?

Lolo is little tiny, but it was used for several scenes in the movie "A River Runs Through It" (which I'd highly recommend you see if you want to know what your trip is going to look like). It's near Missoula, which is a really fun college town.

6. Re: Visit in May or June - Bugs? Mud? Other Nuisances?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2010, 05:18