We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodging for Craters of the Moon

nj
Level Contributor
170 posts
199 reviews
Save Topic
Lodging for Craters of the Moon

Where is the best lodging for visiting Craters of the Moon? We'd like to stay close-by so we can have a full day visiting the park. Is Arco the closest town; and if so, what would be the best choice for lodging? Are there any decent restaurants there?

Thanks.

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,398 posts
433 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lodging for Craters of the Moon

absoultly no resturants or hotels ...best bet is to stay in Sun Valley and enjoy the beautiful life here and take a day trip to Craters...are you visting something else? or just the craters? a whole day there may be tooooo much.

nj
Level Contributor
170 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lodging for Craters of the Moon

Thanks for the info. We are driving to Craters of the Moon from Jenny Lake, Teton National Park (about 5 hours), planned to spend the night nearby, explore the Craters of the Moon Park the next day, spend the night nearby, then drive to Salt Lake City. So driving all the way to Sun Valley would add a lot of driving on both ends. If there is a reasonable place to stay south of Craters of the Moon, which would be on our way to Salt Lake City, that would work, at least for our second night.

Sun Valley looks beautiful, but I don't think it will really work within the planned itinerary.

idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,398 posts
433 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lodging for Craters of the Moon

you are going out of your way to visit the Craters, when going to SLC..honestly, Craters is nice, but i would stay an extra day in Jackson, and drive south to SLC...

Tomah, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
473 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lodging for Craters of the Moon

I'd have to agree with charley on this one - unless you've got some super compelling reason to visit Craters of the Moon, I think you're going to be disappointed that you went so far out of your way to see it. It's kinda neat in a bleak, desolate, vast-amount-of-nothingness sort of way; but you're going to see a lot of that on your drive to SLC...

Idaho
Level Contributor
476 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lodging for Craters of the Moon

I took my husband to Craters this past summer and we explored the caves. We stayed in Arco @ DK Motel (very clean) and dined next door at Pickles Place (great food). Worth the stop and it's a fun small town experience. Enjoy!

Diane

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lodging for Craters of the Moon

In the end of July on the way from Twin Falls to Stanley I would like to stop in Craters of the Moon if there are any wildflowers blooming at that time. Can anyone recall if there are still wildflowers blooming in the end of July or is it too late? I'm having a hard time to find information about places where I can see and photograph blooming wildflowers in Idaho in the end of July.

Tomah, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
473 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lodging for Craters of the Moon

I'm by no means a botanist, but potentellas are about the best shot at seeing wild flowers near Craters of the Moon. They bloom all summer.

idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,398 posts
433 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lodging for Craters of the Moon

places,,,in the sawtooths, there are plenty of wildflowers to see...any info , just ask

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lodging for Craters of the Moon

Thank you Parents and Charley for your very helpful information.

10. Re: Lodging for Craters of the Moon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2010, 05:28