We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Denver to Idaho?

Denver, Colorado
3 posts
Save Topic
From Denver to Idaho?

Hello,

We are planning to drive from Denver on the Independence Day weekend to Idaho. However, we are not sure which are the places worth visiting in Idaho as there are many. Is it worth travelling to Montana as well if that's an option? Our choices are mostly towards scenic drives, hiking , rafting stuff. Not into any museums and stuff like that :)

We plan to start on Wednesday evening -7/3 and return back to Denver by early morning on Monday 7/9. If someone could chalk an itinerary for us, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
6,704 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Denver to Idaho?

With 5-6 days on the road... South to Central Idaho should be the limit of your ambitions...So Ignoring Grand Teton NP I'll suggest ... I-70 West to Rifle & the 13/64/40 into Vernal UT. for the night... The 191/I-80/us30 to Pocatello & the I-15 to Idaho Falls... Then drive the 28to Salmon & the 83 south to the 75 ... At Twin Falls take the I - 84 to Ogden and stay on it to Cheyenne... Lotsa miles... Trim as reality requires ... carracar

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,867 posts
451 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Denver to Idaho?

from salmon down to stanley, and then check out a 1/2 day river trip with white otter..it will be right on your way, in sunbeam...great , small, town. then travel down to stanley and check out the coolest town ever..right at the base of the sawtooths. if you google stanley, the scenery is spectacular. right on the salmon river.i would try and get a room there, but on the 4th of july, i would bet most everything anywhere that is wonderful, would be booked. redfish lake is fabulous and you can ride the boat around the lake. this is just a few miles south of stanley. then the sun valley area, filled with history, great food, and a small mountain town feel, is where i live. lakes, rivers, and mountains. then back to denver.

let me know if i can be of more help. your map will give you the road #s.

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
75 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Denver to Idaho?

Hey , what about Southeast Idaho? Come into Idaho on Idaho 75 from Tremonton, on the way to Pocatello. If you're into geology, the Idaho State University campus has a great geology museum. Check out http://www.visitpocatello.com/ to find out details and other options while you're there. Fort Hall, which was right in the Pocatello area, was a very important stop on the Oregon Trail and there is a replica there in Pocatello.

When you're ready to head on to central Idaho like the previous two experts suggested, you'll head north on I91. Stop at at Fort Hall Reservation museum. It's small, but very well done. Grab some ice cream at the store there too.

Keep going north to Blackfoot, then take off northwest on I26. You'll drive about 60 miles through an area that was literally a hot bed of volcanic activity, and the cinder cones are obvious throughout the area. When youl get to Arco--home of atomic energy-- I recommend you head northwest to Challis, through Mackay. There is a beautful area to visit, and you can find out about the Lost River and the Lost River Range while you stretch your legs and grab a bite.

Then on to Challis. Their website for visitors is http://www.challischamber.com/rodeo.html

i just learned about www.seeksoutadventures.com -- you can take a trail ride in the area where there are still wild horse herds. I haven't been, but I will.

From Challis, you head south to Stanley and the previous two posts can take you from there.

I'm sure I've missed a lot. I think the best website to find what is happening in Southeastern Idaho is http://www.seidaho.org/ You may not make it further north!

Hope you have a blast, and bring plenty of "film."

Edited: 01 July 2013, 19:17
4. Re: From Denver to Idaho?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 July 2014, 05:16