We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for itinerary: trip to Idaho and Montana

Vienna
Level Contributor
283 posts
484 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for itinerary: trip to Idaho and Montana

Years ago we visited Glacier N.P. (Grant Kohr's-Ranch and the National Bison Range) in June on a side trip on our trip to the 4 Rocky Mountain N.Parks. in Canada. We were not able to do the Going to the Sun-Road.

I asked my Mom what she'd liked as a gift for her 75th birthday and she told me: Can't we do Montana again? I loved it.

As always I'd like to explore some new places as well. And I'd like to add Idaho.

Now: we have 10 days. We can fly into any city that would be good to start our trip. However, coming from Europe, I need to pick an airport that we can reach within one day and with maximum of 2 stops.

We would rent a car, don't mind a one way rental, since my major goal is to make the most of the time. After the 10 days we fly into Phoenix, which is one of our favorite places in the US (Scottsdale to be more specific), to do some shopping and soak up some sun. My Mom and I feel comfy in the dry heat. So our final destination after the 10 days in Idaho/Montana should be a city where we can get an OK rate for our onward flight to Phoenix (probably Spokane, WA?)

We love: scenic drives and views, architecture, history, hiking (scenic hikes on the easier side, up to 3 hours).

Time would be somewhen in July (since apparently June was too early for Glacier National Park)

I would appreciate receiving your recommendations on

+ best cities to start and end the tour through Idaho/Montana

+ itinerary

+ special places to stay. I always include one as a highlight of the trip.

+ off the beaten path experiences

I will also post this in the Montana forum.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
20,560 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for itinerary: trip to Idaho and Montana

For your intercontinental flight you might want to look at the Delta/KLM flights from AMS to SEA. Without looking, I would guess you would have something direct from Vienna to AMS.

It would be an easy hop from SEA to Spokane (GEG) as there are multiple flights per day, then a rental car from there.

There are numerous routes you could consider. I am guessing your 10 days includes the day's flight over? So looking at 8 days for touring then the last day leaving from your last city for your flight to Phoenix?

So, if you fly in to Spokane you could then drive south thru the Palouse (wheat growing country) to Pullman/Moscow then on down to Lewiston ID for an overnight. If you are interested you could take a jet boat trip up the Snake River and do a second overnight in Lewiston. From there, head east up US 12 following the Clearwater, Selway and Lochsa Rivers.

visitnorthcentralidaho.org/things-to-do/scen…

This puts you just south of Missoula where you could continue on to Glacier.

You can return to Spokane (cheaper usually to drop car at the same rental depot) either via Interstate 90 or US 2.

Pam

Vienna
Level Contributor
283 posts
484 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for itinerary: trip to Idaho and Montana

Dear D0bby, Altogether it's a 2 weeks vacation. The flight from Europe to the US takes usually one day away and another 2 days for flying back.

I excluded all flight days, actually we have 10 full days for touring Idaho and Montana.

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
10,456 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for itinerary: trip to Idaho and Montana

Pam has some good ideas but I'll put my two-cents worth in... she's right about flying direct to SEA, Seattle, and then on to Spokane the flights from SEA to GEG go almost every hour on alaskaair lines.

From there rent a car, as Pam said it's cheaper here then Seattle.

then drive I90 to Montana. You'll go through Coeur d'Alene which is a destination for many people they love it.

There is a lot to see between Spokane and into Montana.

If you fly here take a look at some of the sights around here.

www.visitspokane.com

www.spokaneriverfrontpark,com

www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/missoula_floods

Then on through Wallace Idaho, an old mining town that has quite checkered past history..

www.wallaceidahochamber.com

There is also the mission which is an important part of history I'll get that web-site to you.

From there into Montana and the folks on that forum can help you with ideas.

collie

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
10,456 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for itinerary: trip to Idaho and Montana

Okay here is the web-sites for Coeur d'Alene and the mission....

www.wikipedia.org/wiki/old_mission_state_park

www.coeurdalene.org

Take a look and any questions please ask.

Collie

5. Re: Suggestions for itinerary: trip to Idaho and Montana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 February 2015, 06:17