We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7-8 days in Idaho

austin
Level Contributor
73 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
7-8 days in Idaho

I will be renting a car from Spokane May 17. Looking for all types of wildlife, mountains/valleys, off the beaten path. I am not very active person in 60's but love driving and sitting and watching sunsets and viewing wildlife in mornings while sitting on a porch. Will be traveling alone and on a limited budget. Need good beds but love secluded lodging places to enjoy water and wildlife. Also want to do some whitewater rafting. I will return to Spokane for flight May 25

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,850 posts
451 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7-8 days in Idaho

i suggest coming down to the Stanely area and renting a cabin on the Salmon River..there are many to choose from , but get booked up early. May be easier that time of year. or come down to my area and check out the wildlife there. Go to VRBO in that area and see what they have. At that time of year in SV area, they will be giving the rentals away!! Let me know if i can be of anymore help.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
20,560 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7-8 days in Idaho

Since you are flying in to Spokane, I suggest you head down to Lewiston/Clarkston and take a jet boat trip up the Snake River. (This can be a bit expensive!) There are some companies that have cabins upriver so you can spend the night. Then I would head east over US 12 on the Lewis and Clark Trail. There are some places to stay up along 12, then go over Lolo Pass in to Montana. Circle back thru Missoula and over I90 (really is a quite pretty Interstate) and back in to Idaho for your last couple of nights. If you wanted, you could also head north from Missoula and come across into Idaho on 200 to Sandpoint ID and then work your way down to Coeur d'Alene and back to Spokane for your flight out.

Here is a link to one of the tours that does overnights up the Snake. There are several.

http://hellscanyontours.com/pages/lodging.htm

BTW, Charley and I will both try to convince you to do *our* parts of the state!

I do think we would both agree that in either area, you will be safe on the roads as you travel solo.

Pam

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
10,456 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7-8 days in Idaho

I agree with what Pam said given the amount of time that you have I'd stick to northern Idaho and Montana plus add these to it...

White water rafting in northern Idaho or Montana...

www.leaveboringbehind.com

www.riverrafting.net

You could stop in Coeur d'Alene it's gets top ratings for one of the best vacations spots. I just read it was rated #4 in the US.

If you decided to bypass Lewiston and go into the northern part and then into Montana instead you'll still be able to follow Pam's advise on coming back through Sandpoint and then back down to Spokane.

some of the roads into the parts of the park at Glacier will still be closed but there should be plenty to still see.

If you decide on the snake river it's pretty awesome itself.

Keep asking questions if you need to.

You'll enjoy the area and the sights.

From Missoula you could drive up to see Glacier national park that drive is awesome in fact northern Idaho and Montana have some of the best scenery, if you consider it post it on the Montana forum.

Collie

idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,850 posts
451 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7-8 days in Idaho

oh, you northern girls….send them down to the best part of the state!!! hee her

austin
Level Contributor
73 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 7-8 days in Idaho

Where is yours and Charley's part? Wonderful information!

austin
Level Contributor
73 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7-8 days in Idaho

I have done Montana and Glacier on earlier trips. How would you reroute after Lobo pass?

idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,850 posts
451 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 7-8 days in Idaho

MY part of Idaho, the most beautiful, filled with lakes, streams, mountains, the longest bike path ever (used to be the RR), hot springs, good restaurants, hiking, horses, ice rinks, you name it, we got it.is the Ketchum/Sun Valley area, absolutely the most beautiful part of Idaho…(only did this to set up the others!!!!) go girls.

oh, this is the western central part of Idaho.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
20,560 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 7-8 days in Idaho

Well, US 12 goes from Lewiston Idaho over Lolo Pass to Western Montana. If you don't want to take that you can drive up State Road 3 which leaves US 12 at Arrow Junction and take it north to I90. Personally, I would drive 12 and just touch in to Montana so you can head back to Idaho on I90. US 12 is much more scenic than State Road 3. If you look at a road atlas you will see how skinny N. Idaho is and how few roads there are across the mountains. There are really only a few ways to get across the state up here.

Laughing at Charley....We don't even want to advertise how beautiful N. Idaho is because we want to keep this heaven on earth to ourselves!

Pam

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
6,704 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 7-8 days in Idaho

After driving the 12 ... And spending a night at LoLo Hot springs ... turn on the 93 South into Idaho at Lost trail Pass . Overnight in Salmon then perhaps spend a night in Stanley & see if there are one day river trips on early season offer... follow then, 21 to Lowman and the 55 up to McCall. Next day, continue to the 95 to Coeur D Alene for a night ... before your Spokane return ... Happy trails ... carracar

idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,850 posts
451 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 7-8 days in Idaho

ok, pam…i need to come and visit!!