We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way through Illinois???

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,079 posts
189 reviews
Save Topic
Best way through Illinois???

Ok, we are planning to drive to Disney and I have been told to take 2 different routes and I was wondering if anyone can give me some insight on which route would be best. Here they are:

1) I-39 to Bloomington then 74 to Indianapolis then 65 to Nashville then 24 to Atlanta then 75 to Orlando

-OR-

2) I-39 to Bloomington then 74 then 57 south then 24 to Nasville then 24 to Atlanta then 75 to Orlando.

Are one of these routes faster or do they have better roads or less construction delays??

Just looking for a little help in finding the best route through Illinois. If you have any other suggestions please let me know.

Thanks for any and all help! :)

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,079 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way through Illinois???

As I was looking through the maps we may take 41 south to Milwaukee and then on to Chicago. It seems this may be faster than 39. Any suggestions around Chicago or would the other routes be better?

I don't know which way would be best and I would like to start booking hotels so any help is greatly appreciated!

Bakersfield...
Level Contributor
179 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way through Illinois???

Check if there is still a lot of construction around Milwaukee. You will also want to check construction in the Chicago area and avoid driving in the area during rush hour(s) as that can add considerable time to your drive. Assuming you are taking the tollway to 55 or 57, you will be dealing with traffic until just before Kankakee or so on the tollway and on 55 and 57.

I'm not real familiar with 39. The drive on 74 across the state is usually pretty easy. When I lived in Chicago, the most common route to Nashville was to take 65 instead of 57. Not sure on how much time taking 65 saves. The drive the rest of the way should be fine depending on what time you hit Atlanta, as you will might have to contend with traffic there.

Edwardsville...
Level Contributor
1,610 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way through Illinois???

39, 74 and 57 all have some construction now. Here's a link to the IDOT construction map:

www.gettingaroundillinois.com/default.aspx…

I'm not familiar with the Indiana routes. South of Effingham, 57 starts to get more scenic. At least you have trees instead of corn. I 24 is a pleasant drive.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,079 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way through Illinois???

I think we may take 41 south through Milwaukee and then head through Chicago. Is there any advice for going through Chicago? We can adjust our leave time to avoid rush hour. We will be coming through on a Thursday morning. We were thinking of leaving at least by 5 AM. That would put us in Chicago around just before 9 AM.

What times do we want to avoid. Sorry I do not know rush hour times as we don't have that problem with our one 4 way stop in town (no stoplight) ;)

We would be willing to leave earlier if it will make our trip through Chicago easier/faster.

Any tips? Thanks for all the help so far!!!!

pgo
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
7,206 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way through Illinois???

Casey, where in Wisconsin do you live? (I want to see that no stoplight town ;)) If you can take I-39 I think you'll be missing a lot of traffic and tolls.

Going through downtown Chicago near 9 AM on a weekday would be one of the sadder decisions of your life. The 20 miles from the Lake County/Cook County border to the heart of the city, which I drive frequently, will take 60-90 minutes. The expressway south of downtown can be equally bad. You could be looking at 3 hours to go no more than 40 miles. If it' were a Saturday or Sunday, though, it wouldn't be bad. Believe me, unless you must stop to see something in the city, you are better off avoiding Chicago.

BTW, for future reference, Hwy. 41 through Lake County is a local road with stoplights. Most people use I-294 instead. It is a toll road; there is a toll calculator on the IDOT web site.

Edited: 26 May 2010, 19:37
6. Re: Best way through Illinois???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 November 2010, 05:17