We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

road Trip from Chicago for 3 days..

Chicago, Illinois
1 post
Save Topic
road Trip from Chicago for 3 days..

Hi

I need to go for a trip from chicago by road for 3 -4 days.

I have already visited Wisconsin Dells,Mackinaw Island,Niagara,Chicago downtown ,Indiana Dunes,Lake geneva etc.

Is there any other places near by so that we can have a visit.

since i have a 60+ age member inmy family i cannot go for any adventure trips...

some places which are suitable for family picnins..

Also how will be visiting Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore during May end weekend...Is that worth to go there???

Please help

Edwardsville...
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: road Trip from Chicago for 3 days..

You might consider Galena, IL, or a trip to St. Louis with a stopover in Springfield.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
44,766 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: road Trip from Chicago for 3 days..

Cruise through - http://www.enjoyillinois.com/home.aspx and michigan.org/Partners/Beachtowns/Default.aspx for ideas.

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
6,514 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: road Trip from Chicago for 3 days..

pictured rocks is definitely worth it---one of the best kept secrets in the lower 48. thing is, the way this spring has been going, it still might be a bit cool up there in may.... then again, i went in early june a few years ago and it was in the 90's... go figure... anyway, if you do go, take the shoreline boat tour.....

chicago
Level Contributor
8,206 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: road Trip from Chicago for 3 days..

Starved rock, there are very short walks and the trails are paved

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,121 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: road Trip from Chicago for 3 days..

Pictured rocks is a great destination, but a long way to go for such a short trip duration including travel days. Door County, Galena (and SW Wisc.), Starved Rock, New Glarus and Spring Green may also be appealing.

Edited: 15 May 2011, 15:44
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
57 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: road Trip from Chicago for 3 days..

I second the recommendation for Starved Rock. Oak Park is also cool if you like architecture, and it is just outside Chicago.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
242 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: road Trip from Chicago for 3 days..

I was at Starved Rock last weekend, and it was gorgeous, midwestweekends.com/plan_a_trip/nature/parks…

I liked walking to the canyons best, but there are also two cruises and trolley tours.

Other good destinations with scenery and good picnic spots include Galena and the Mississippi River valley, including Dubuque and Prairie du Chien/Wyalusing State Park in Wisconsin.

Pictured Rocks is great but pretty far. A better destination would be Sleeping Bear Dunes in Michigan, also a national lakeshore, midwestweekends.com/plan_a_trip/nature/beach…

Illinois
Level Contributor
72 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: road Trip from Chicago for 3 days..

I would like to suggest that you check out Hannibal Missouri. We there several years ago, when our kids were younger and had a great time. There is (of course) a lot of Tom Sawyer sights, but also a lot of other things in the area. You can easily walk around the downtown area. There are several restaurants in the area, plays, riverboat cruises, etc. It was a very relaxing and interesting trip. You could check it out on-line and see if it appeals to you.

Delavan, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,363 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: road Trip from Chicago for 3 days..

You could combine Nauvoo (IL), Hannibal (MO) and the Lincoln sights in Springfield and nearby New Salem State Park into a very nice 3-4 day road trip.

The suggestion simply making St. Louis a destination city works as well. It's an easy 5-hour drive and has plenty to do for 3 days. And you can still add that stop at Springfield midway between St. Louis and Chicago if you feel the need to break up the drive a bit.

Galena can be fun as well, but really is for people who are just looking for an excuse tos spend money shopping (i.e. picture Mackinaw Island shops in a small "historic" downtown.)

10. Re: road Trip from Chicago for 3 days..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 May 2012, 06:22