We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day tours from Chicago to Arthur

Newcastle, Australia
3 posts
Save Topic
Day tours from Chicago to Arthur

I'm visiting Chicargo for a week and wanting to book a return day tour to Arthur to visit the Amish Country. Is this possible? Or is there any public transport there and back in the day?

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
49,785 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day tours from Chicago to Arthur

There's no public transit between Arthur & Chicago. You'll need to rent a car for the day.

Illinois
Level Contributor
72 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day tours from Chicago to Arthur

Amtrak can take you from Chicago to Mattoon/Charleston, which is about 30 minutes from Arthur. You would have to check into rental cars in Mattoon, but would be much easier than driving from Chicago - though it's not a bad drive straigh down I-57

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
49,785 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day tours from Chicago to Arthur

You might also consider - http://www.amishcountry.org/

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
150 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day tours from Chicago to Arthur

While opinions vary, I've been to Arthur a few times and didn't really find it all that impressive. Certainly not nearly as interesting/visit worthy as some of the Amish areas in Indiana.

The drive to Arthur, while a relative straight shot, is really boring IMHO, and I'm a serious driving enthusiast.

I'm not sure where in Mattoon/Charleston the train stops (the two cities are actually several miles from one another) but having been to both more than once, I'd say you'd have much more luck finding a rental car in Charleston as it is a college town. Even then it may be challenging depending on what time you would be arriving and leaving.

Newcastle, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Day tours from Chicago to Arthur

Thank you for your replies, very much appreciate it. Are any of the other Amish Towns in Illinois a better option or should I just wait until we drive thought Pennsylvania. Are there any other short drives from Chicago a much better option for sightseeing?

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
49,785 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day tours from Chicago to Arthur

How far are you willing to drive?

Cruise around - http://www.enjoyillinois.com/home.aspx for ideas.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
16,345 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day tours from Chicago to Arthur

What is this interest in Arthur? This is the 2nd post on it? There is nothing to see or do in Arthur unless you want to be rude and stare at people who dress differently than you and drive horse buggies.

Newcastle, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Day tours from Chicago to Arthur

Thanks for the help. I'm just wanting to be able to see Chicago and the outer area while my husband is working. So days tours or public transport are my options. We will have a car but not sure if I'll have the use of it through the week day.

I was interested in Arthur and the surrounding area as I thought it had good craft shops etc. but know I thinking differently.

Thanks Dave148 I'll look at the web page you have given.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
49,785 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day tours from Chicago to Arthur

Day trips using Metra trains - metrarail.com/metra/…day_trips.html

10. Re: Day tours from Chicago to Arthur

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 07:17