We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North/south highway other than 55 or thru chicago to milwauk

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
170 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
North/south highway other than 55 or thru chicago to milwauk

Traveling from Indianapolis to Milwaukee, and would like to avoid Chicago (been there many times, just don't want to drive through this time). I know I can take 55, but would rather find a nice (four lane) or not busy two lane highway to head north. Any suggestions.

Would love to see some small towns along the way, but not necessary. Would rather spend an additional hour or so driving at 55 and 45 than sit in traffic on the interstate.

Special Offer
Chicago Architecture River Cruise
2,265 reviews
from US$33.60*
US$39.20
Viator VIP: Skydeck, Trolley and...
98 reviews
from US$124.00*
Chicago Explorer Pass
172 reviews
from US$75.00*
Skydeck Chicago Admission
571 reviews
from US$23.00*
Chicago Suburbs
Level Contributor
3,920 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North/south highway other than 55 or thru chicago to milwauk

If you do that, you'll spend way more than an extra hour, because you'll have to go way west to avoid the Chicago suburbs. You'll probably have to go to IL-47 to avoid traffic and suburban sprawl.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
48,373 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: North/south highway other than 55 or thru chicago to milwauk

55 isn't practical nor will it bypass Chicago. Coming from Indiana, 294 will let you bypass Chicago - but you'll pay a bunch of tolls along the way.

There are other ways to bypass Chicago. But there's considerably more driving and time involved. FYI - there's construction on the WI side of 94 .

Chicago
Level Contributor
7,032 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: North/south highway other than 55 or thru chicago to milwauk

I'm not sure why you would go to 55, which would require you going west, then coming back east and ending up pretty much in Chicago anyway,

The Chicago metro area stretches pretty much to the Fox River. If you are trying to avoid the entire metro area, then taking 74 to 47 and then north into Wisconsin is probably the best option, unless you want to go all the way west to 39 and then take that up to 43 in Wisconsin and then into Milwaukee.

Don't know if any of those would be any better than 65 to 80 to 294 and then north, which avoids going through the city proper.

If you really don't mind how long the trip takes and want to avoid the Chicago area completely, you could always drive to Muskegon and take the ferry....:) and yes, I'm just kidding.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
170 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: North/south highway other than 55 or thru chicago to milwauk

Oops. I meant 39 (via 74) to 43. It would add a little less than two hours as an alternative to 65 up through town and up the lakefront. Don't mind the extra time but would still like a highway.

I'll look into 47 option. Thanks for replying despite me citing the wrong interstate!

Edited: 03 September 2012, 04:22
5. Re: North/south highway other than 55 or thru chicago to milwauk

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2013, 10:18