We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best route from Maryland to Decatur

Annapolis, MD USA
Level Contributor
69 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Best route from Maryland to Decatur

Traveling from Maryland to Decatur this Sunday--need to make the trip in one day. All suggestions welcome.

Kim

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
46,479 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best route from Maryland to Decatur

Google Maps show it at around 12 hours - mostly on Interstates.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,889 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best route from Maryland to Decatur

I-70 west to Indianapolis where you'll pick up I-74 west, I-72 at Champaign then route 51 south to Decatur (or whatever exit is closer to your destination).

Delavan, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best route from Maryland to Decatur

What information are you wanting from us that you can't get from Google Maps or mapquest?

I went to school in Annapolis, but that was 40 years ago. It took me 15 hours to drive it. I just came back from the east coast (Boston, not DC) this week and from Columbus (where I routes would coincide) there wasn't any construction worth speaking of, though there are a few pot holes around Dayton worth noting, but that is typical of this time of year many places.

Nicest restaurant on the entire route is the Beef House in Covington, IN (at the Illinois border) about 90 minutes east of Decatur. But if you need to make the trip all in one day, you won't have time to stop.

Traffic can be bad around Columbus during rush hour, but I don't know it well enough to say whether to take I-70 through or the beltline around it. In Indianapolis, if you hit it at rush hour, do take the beltline around the south side of town.

4. Re: Best route from Maryland to Decatur

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2015, 05:20