We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weekend getaway for family with college age kids

new jersey
4 posts
Save Topic
weekend getaway for family with college age kids

My husband and I will be in Chicago for business and we were trying to find someplace in between to meet our college children who are in Oxford,Ohio for a weekend. Golf courses or state parks or even cities are options. We live in New Jersey and are very unfamiliar with the area. Any suggestions will be appreciated!

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
365 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: weekend getaway for family with college age kids

When you say "someplace in between" where are you referring to? In between Chicago and Oxford?

new jersey
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: weekend getaway for family with college age kids

I am sorry, yes that was what i was refering to, maybe like 2 or so hours from Oxford. Thank you!

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
365 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: weekend getaway for family with college age kids

Two hours from Oxford is Indy but 4 hours from Chicago. Downtown Indy is great because there are so many options and it is very walkable. If you want golfing then there are endless choices. I would go to Brickyard Crossing, expensive but a great course or Fort Ben for a less expensive choice and both are within 20 minutes of downtown as is Eagle Creek if you want to check out state park. If you decide to do Indy let us know and we can give many more details.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: weekend getaway for family with college age kids

I have explored Indy with college aged offspring and friends several times and really had fun.

It's a very walkable city with some very interesting spots. We liked the Rathskeller and the neighborhood around there for an interesting alternative environment, the Soldiers and Sailors Memorial, Shapiro's Deli (a short drive, really), and the State Capital building. The Cafe Patachou is a local spot that is great for breakfast or lunch.

We also drove out to the Speedway just to see it. That thing is huge! Someday I want to go to a race there.

An hour further for you is Bloomington, where Indiana University is located. It is a very lively college town with a lot going on. Your college kids might like seeing another university.

5. Re: weekend getaway for family with college age kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 March 2010, 05:21