We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Indiana Travel Suggestions

Summersville, West...
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Indiana Travel Suggestions

My husband and I are in our late fifties and would like suggestions as to drop your jaw gorgeous sites, historical areas, and places of interest for people in our age group. We can walk a three mile round trip area and can be out for full day periods of time.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Indiana Travel Suggestions

Have you walked around downtown Indianapolis? It is beautiful. The park on the west edge of downtown is also a great walk.

Bloomington and the IU campus are also very nice for a tour. There is lots to do in Bloomington. In addition to walking, try to catch a performance. It is a world class performing arts school.

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
320 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Indiana Travel Suggestions

Of course I love the whole state but I guess Brown County State Park, Clifty Falls State Park, Shades State Park, Turkey Run State Park, Spring Mill State Park are some of my favorites. Can't say any of them really drops my jaw like say, the Smoky Mountains does but they are pretty nice. Madison IN is also very neat and historic. Nashville IN is also pretty interesting.

Edited: 02 February 2010, 02:20
IN
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Indiana Travel Suggestions

Nashville, Indiana in Brown County (Story Inn, Story, IN)

West Baden Springs Hotel (National Historic Landmark)

The President Benjamin Harrison Home in Indianapolis

Canal Walk (White River Park) in Indianapolis

Indiana Dunes

Very nice state parks...Turkey Run, Spring Mill, Brown County, Clifty Falls

Madison Indiana on the Ohio River (Clifty Falls is nearby)

Conner Prairie (Noblesville, IN just north of Indy)

Metamora, IN (mill and ride the canal)

New Harmony (Utopian community)

Corydon, IN (first state capital)

Clabber Girl Museum and Bakeshop (Terre Haute)

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Indiana Travel Suggestions

Metamora is really interesting. I had never heard of it and happened upon it once. I'm surprised more people don't know about it.

Midwest
Level Contributor
19 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Indiana Travel Suggestions

Leavenworth over the Ohio River is beautiful, Hemlock Cliffs in Southern Indiana, Pine Hills Nature Preserve near Shades Park in Western Part of Indiana. Merom Bluff over the Wabash River between Terre Haute and Vincennes. I'll try to think of more places in our beautiful state!

Midwest
Level Contributor
19 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Indiana Travel Suggestions

I agree Madison Indiana is very nice not touristy like Nashville...yet Brown County has more artists! There are lots of cabins for rent near Nashville if you're into the cabin theme.

Corydon, Indiana is also nice with the unique and family fun of the Corydon Jamboree!

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,493 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Indiana Travel Suggestions

People have pretty well covered just about anything I would have mentioned, I'll just put an extra "check it out" for a few of them and add a few more:

1) French Lick/West Baden - the dome (and the entire rehab they did) is indeed drop your jaw gorgeous;

2) State Parks - if you're comparing Indiana to world class places (say Yosemite, Tetons, etc), I wouldn't say any are truly jaw dropping . . . but of the ones people have mentioned, I'd second: Brown County, Clifty Falls, Spring MIll and add:

McCormick's Creek (as soft spot in my heart as I was married there);

T.C. Steele;

Lake Monroe & Patoka for water related stuff;

Also don't forget all the Hoosier National Forest stuff;

3) For "urban" (in quotes as most of these aren't really cities per se) considerations - Indy is obvious (the whole downtown scene is pretty vibrant: shopping, museums, canal walk, white river park (gardens/zoo), and more), Bloomington & IU (but I'm not impartial on that one), Nashville, Madison, add:

Columbus - lots of world class architecture - all in a small Indiana city

That's all I can think off off the top of my head, maybe more comments later

hlo

8. Re: Indiana Travel Suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 December 2010, 05:15