We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I-70 West fo Indy

Elkhart, Indiana
Level Contributor
118 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
I-70 West fo Indy

I saw signs on 465 saying road restrictions how restricted? Should we look for an alternate route?

Thanks

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,334 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I-70 West fo Indy

I'm thinking you mean "from?" Don't have any specific knowledge of what you're talking about, but here are a few comments:

1. Can you provide a time of day/day of week? Presuming there *are* restrictions, these can have an impact on how much it will affect traffic.

2. Similarly when you're planning on going - I mean how soon - are you talking today, tomorrow, next week? Again, I don't know anything about what's going on, but it might be that it's completely over by the time you'll be driving it.

3. US 40 pretty much parallels I-70 here - exactly how close it is, varies a little - but generally within about 5 miles; so you'll have a reasonable alternative for most of the route. That said, if traffic backs up, it might take you awhile to get to an exit and lots of other people might be bailing too . . . .

4. Beyond that you might check the State Highway Department and/or State Police websites, pretty sure one or both of them have some sort of major construction page which might reveal more details about what's going on there (projected start/end dates, nature of what's going on, etc.).

5. Lastly, generally speaking efforts are always made to keep interstates open & running smoothly; no certainty that there won't be a glitch, but my experience is that you'll usually find a slow down (lower speed limit, inability to pass) rather then actual stop & go traffic issues.

Hope this helps,

hlo

Elkhart, Indiana
Level Contributor
118 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I-70 West fo Indy

You are correct I didn’t provide much info.

May 5 east eastbound from I 57 through Effingham. I did try a little research with not much help in what delays might be. All I have to go on were the two signs along 465 I read yesterday.

My concern comes from the last time we traveled that section a couple years back it was stop and go for some 40 miles. At one point we sat for about 45 minutes.

Paranoid :)

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,334 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I-70 West fo Indy

Oooooo 45 minutes :-(

Of the probably dozen or more times I've hit major construction on I-70, I think I've only once had to come to a complete stop. Don't remember how long it was, but most of the time it's just reduced speed limit and/or lane restrictions; still slows you down, but not too terribly.

Did a little poking around myself, here's what I found on the State Highway Dept. website that might interact with I-70 in the I-465 area:

1. "Accelerate 465" which appears to be done:

www.in.gov/indot/3042.htm

(and I can say it was a *real* paid, got to the point where I basically avoided the west side I-465 to the maximum extent possible).

2. Operation Indy Commute:

www.in.gov/indot/2381.htm

Which appears to have been a fairly major upgrade to the I-70/I-465 interchange (and associated nearby roads).

I can say that I've driven this portion of I-70 from the Indy airport area to downtown semi-recently and there wasn't anything that caused me any issues.

I couldn't find anything else that appeared to impact I-70 in the Indy area (not saying there isn't any, but if there is it doesn't appear to be a major project).

About all I can add is that you're not needing to make minimum time (maximum speed), you might instead just decide to take the "blue highway" option (US 40) and make a more leisurely drive enjoying the non-interestate version of this portion of your trip. Won't be as quick, but in some respects probably more predictable/less variable.

Sorry I couldn't give any kind of specific answer (one way or the other),

hlo

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
786 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I-70 West fo Indy

The construction on I-70 in Indiana stretches about 20 miles from the SR 39 exit to the US 231 exit. There are intermittent lane closures that cause delays however these lane closures are not everyday. For example there are closures that last 2 hours and closures that last a day. Then there is another 30 mile stretch of the same thing from Casey, IL all the way to Effingham, I would say travelling on Sunday may help your cause.

Illinois
Level Contributor
72 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I-70 West fo Indy

Your second post said from I57 through Effingham. Since that is in Illinois you might try posting on the Illinois forum. I know that I70 and I57 run together through Effingham, probably for 10 miles or so. I wouldn't expect too much delay as that is a main route and I am sure they will keep traffic moving as much as possible.

Elkhart, Indiana
Level Contributor
118 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I-70 West fo Indy

Thanks all, off to NOLA and Guff Shores we’ll deal with Indiana roads on the flip-flop.

7. Re: I-70 West fo Indy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 April 2014, 05:16