We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need to find a hotel or B&B along the MI/IN boarder

Denver, Colorado...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Need to find a hotel or B&B along the MI/IN boarder

I'm getting married on June 15th (in a month!) in Kentwood, Mi--directly after the wedding (around 6PM) we're going to be starting our honeymoon road trip down to Key West. Instead of staying in Michigan on our wedding night, we wanted to get a few hours down the road (2-3 hours). Obviously we're not keen on just pulling off at whatever place we come across. And I'm being pulled in about five different directions when it comes to this (everyone in the family has an opinion).

So here I am asking:

I need a wedding night hotel or B&B that is nice, kept under 200$ for the night, and preferably along the MI/IN boarder. A place where I'm going to be able to check in at around 8-9PM too (that apparently is a pickle at some B&Bs). Thank you in advance for any help!

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,660 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need to find a hotel or B&B along the MI/IN boarder

Unfortunately, I can't help you with any specific suggestions, but I wanted to make certain you at least got a response. Here's a few general comments, suggestions, observations:

1. You're right that late check-in can be somewhat problematic with B&Bs, but my experience (albeit not extensive) is that with enough advance warning most will work to accommodate things like late check-in.

2. You might get more responses if you narrow your scope a little (you'll need to do that at some time anyway). Right now you're asking about an area that covers hundreds of square miles and probably has a hundred or more B&Bs. Here's a few things to consider that will shrink the size of the net you're casting:

a) Prefer a smaller or larger city/town? Larger cities will more likely have multiple B&Bs, but smaller ones are often more "quaint" and/or have small town charm.

b) Sort of similar to this is whether you'd prefer a rural setting or urban setting.

c) Choose the route you're going to drive (I know you have flexibility, but . . .) this will by itself reduce the number of cities/towns that are up for consideration.

d) Consider picking a distance you're willing to drive, just like the above if you say you're looking for something XXX to YYY miles from your starting point will limit the number of options.

e) Think if there is anything else you desire that might narrow your options. For example, would you prefer something in northern Indiana's amish country?

Beyond that about all I can say is to perhaps use B&B listing sites, some of these will allow you to put in rather broad criteria. Unfortunately(?) TA and many of the larger booking sites are very fixated on "location" so unless you're willing to narrow your search as suggested above, you're going to be having to put in a *bunch* of searches. That said, some will allow you to put in a "within so many miles" filter, might use this with a large number of miles for some of the "middle" cities/towns in the area you're looking for and then filter for B&Bs (if possible).

Sorry I can't give any specific suggestions; now if you were asking about south central Indiana . . . .

Good luck,

hlo

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,660 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need to find a hotel or B&B along the MI/IN boarder

Here's a link I found for the Indiana B&B Association (or something like that), note that you might want to look at the "eastern" region as it extend pretty far north along the Ohio border:

www.indianabedandbreakfast.org/index.php

I imagine there might be a similar organization for Michigan. (I googled "bed and breakfast indiana," you'd obviously want to change that to Michigan to find the Michigan organization).

Hope this helps,

hlo

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,660 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need to find a hotel or B&B along the MI/IN boarder

I should make it clear, my above postings obviously focused on B&Bs. If you consider hotels, much of it still applies, but the number of available places (options) goes up dramatically.

hlo

Denver, Colorado...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Need to find a hotel or B&B along the MI/IN boarder

Thank you so much! This is actually some helpful stuff. My mind quite obviously is going to a million different places so half of that stuff I never factored in (like narrowing down to a few cities). Thank you for the website as well. :) I REALLY appreciate the help!

5. Re: Need to find a hotel or B&B along the MI/IN boarder

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2014, 06:18