We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mansfield/Parke Cty Covered Bridge

Illinois City...
1 post
Save Topic
Mansfield/Parke Cty Covered Bridge

Just heard about this festival and am wondering where the best and /or biggest vendor stops are? What town/area etc. I primarily look for the knockoff items, sports collectibles, unique items, flea market type stuff. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated . Would like to take a trip!

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,805 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mansfield/Parke Cty Covered Bridge

First, welcome to the TA forums!

On my phone, so it's a pain for me to do so, but try searching the Indiana forum for "covered bridge" (or maybe just "bridge"), "Parke" and/or "festival." I know I've seen some postings about the festival, I just don't remember whether they were at the state level or "lower" (or what city). I generally think the forum search function on TA could be better, but when you're using it in a low traffic/ posting forum(s) (i.e. when where aren't too many matches), I think it does a reasonable job.

Not 100% sure, but my memory is that at least one of them talked about flea markets, etc.

Will try to see if I can find them when I'm at a computer tomorrow, but no guarantee.

Hope this helps,

hlo

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,805 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mansfield/Parke Cty Covered Bridge

Plugging "covered bridge festival" in the Indiana forum search box got something like 14-15 hits. Just skimming them I'd say about 1/2 look to be on point (discussing the Parke County Festival and/or surrounding area) I'm less sure of the rest (might a combination mentioning "covered bridge" and some other festival), but wouldn't be shocked if a few of them also mention the festival. I guess it should really be more like just under half as this thread shows up as one of the hits.

It looks like there were about 1 every year or so, so some of them will be a little stale. That said, it's not like they're moving the bridges around.

Hope this helps,

hlo

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,805 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mansfield/Parke Cty Covered Bridge

Kacy32,

Semi-long story, but I'll just cut to the chase. I recently heard from a friend that the "vendor" aspect of this had degenerated in his opinion over about the last 10 years (last time he was there). "In the old days" there was arts, crafts, antiques, collectables, etc. "quality" stuff. He went recently and said it's now most "resale" stuff (meaning people who have bought close-outs, out of business inventory, overstocks, or just in bulk, etc. of everyday sorts of products and are reselling them).

I've seen this sort of thing happen elsewhere (even had a neighbor who had regular "garage sales" with this sort of crap) and, if it's true (which I have no reason to doubt), would decrease my desire to spend any time checking the sale part of the festival out.

Would love to hear feedback on your experience, thoughts, etc. if you've got any,

hlo

ENGLEWOOD
Level Contributor
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Mansfield/Parke Cty Covered Bridge

For Fall 2014: Depending on where you're coming from in IL, then try this: Come into Parke County via Highway 36, which goes right through Rockville, IN...Avoid coming through the intersection in Brazil, IN, at SR 59 & Hendrix Street---it's a cluster, with a 4-way stop that takes forever to get through; a good alternative is to continue east on Hwy 40 through Brazil, & look for CR1200 North on your left, as you're heading out of town: Take it north, & go all the way to Rio Grande Road; turn left, & take it to SR59 & continue north to turn-offs for Bridgeton & Mansfield.

Also, Bridgeton, IN, has more of the homemade arts & crafts that people are looking for; unfortunately, Mansfield (right off Hwy 59, southeast of Rockville) has degenerated into the land of tube socks, corny T-shirts, & other ordinary items, in bulk...The food at Mansfield, though, is the best: the Food Court on top of the hill is terrific (gyros, bison burgers, etc.), & the main intersection has the best seasoned steak tips with red potatoes, chives, butter, mushrooms that you'll have anywhere in your life! They use real butter & cast-iron skillets, etc.

Take the time to find a map of the Covered Bridges & enjoy the drive---it's worth it!

Indy
Destination Expert
for Indianapolis
Level Contributor
545 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mansfield/Parke Cty Covered Bridge

As stated, Mansfield, Bridgeton, and Rockville are the larger areas. I have found a lot of "Made in China" tents/booths over the years, which sucks but it is what it is. I liked Rockville because in the past they have had brick and mortar stores open along with the booths around the town square, which usually gives you more antiques/handmade items to choose from. Don't forget the smaller towns. We went to Rosedale one year, a smaller town just SW of Bridgeton. They had their stuff in a community building (maybe a VFW hall or something) and actually seemed to have a lot more handmade crafts.

6. Re: Mansfield/Parke Cty Covered Bridge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 April 2015, 05:15