We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lunch spot near Templeton Rye distillery sought

midwest
Level Contributor
92 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Lunch spot near Templeton Rye distillery sought

Any good restaurants for lunch in this area? In Carroll, Manning or other towns? Am driving to/from Des Moines.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
249 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lunch spot near Templeton Rye distillery sought

It looks like your route will likely take you through Ames. If that isn't too far into your trip to stop for lunch, I highly recommend The Cafe www.thecafeames.com

A stop at Reiman Gardens, complete with its butterfly house, is also worth a visit www.reimangardens.iastate.edu

midwest
Level Contributor
92 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lunch spot near Templeton Rye distillery sought

We're not going through Ames. The suggested route is west on I-80 to 71 north, near Atlantic. Any other ideas?

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
249 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lunch spot near Templeton Rye distillery sought

Sorry! Since you mentioned Carroll, I used Google Maps directions to find the fastest route from Carroll to Des Moines, and that happened to go through Ames.

Using the route you've specified, I don't know of any hidden gems along I-80. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Des Moines
Level Contributor
509 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lunch spot near Templeton Rye distillery sought

I haven't eaten in either of these places, but they look worth a try:

- The Santa Maria Winery Bistro in Carroll

- If you're willing to go through Perry on Hwy 141 vs. due west on I-80, try the Hotel Pattee's restaurant, David's Milwaukee Diner

Ames, Iowa
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lunch spot near Templeton Rye distillery sought

You should try Darrell's Place in Hamlin. It is just off Hwy 71. North of Atlantic and about half way to Templeton. They are famous for thier delicious homemade Tenderloins, (very large) and voted the best tenderloin in Iowa. Hamlin is a real small town, so don't blink you will miss it.

6. Re: Lunch spot near Templeton Rye distillery sought

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 December 2010, 05:17