We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amana Colonies

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
35 posts
141 reviews
Save Topic
Amana Colonies

We are planning a trip to the Amana Colonies(Iowa) this summer. We intend to stay 1-2 nights and would like some suggestions for B&Bs or smaller property accommodations in the area. Also if anyone has suggestions for things to see, it would be appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Des Moines
Level Contributor
518 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amana Colonies

I have no experience with B&Bs there, but can suggest a few things to see and do. Many of the shops in the Amanas are fun to look through. I personally like the furniture store and the general store, but there are many others. There also is a scenic recreational trail, which would be fun to bike or walk.

If you like baseball, I recommend eating at Zuber's in Homestead and checking out the memorabilia in the lobby.

Enjoy your trip!

Mentioned in this post
Zuber's Homestead Hotel
Zuber's Homestead Hotel
136 Reviews
Homestead, IA
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
35 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amana Colonies

Thanks for your help. I'll try to post my reviews when we return home and yes, I like baseball so I'll make sure I stop at Zuber's.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
5,023 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amana Colonies

It has been about 4 years since I dined there, but I thought Zubers was more about the baseball tradition than the food.

Mentioned in this post
Zuber's Homestead Hotel
Zuber's Homestead Hotel
136 Reviews
Homestead, IA
Tennessee
Level Contributor
176 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amana Colonies

I believe Zubers closed some time ago. Amanas are not what they used to be. Two restaurants in the main amana closed. Ox Yoke is probably the best choice.

Mentioned in this post
Zuber's Homestead Hotel
Zuber's Homestead Hotel
136 Reviews
Homestead, IA
5. Re: Amana Colonies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 June 2012, 12:17