We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mid West Baseball Touring

Bendigo, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Mid West Baseball Touring

Heading from Australia to all 8 Mid West (western division) baseball clubs to watch some "A" class baseball in June / July of 2013. (including Field of Deams & Norway)

Chicago - Beloit - Appleton - Field of Dreams - Cedar Rapids - Norway - Davenport - Burlington - Peoria - Clinton - St Charles - Chicago.

Where to visit (other than the baseball locvations) whilst driving from day to day? Any suggestions?

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Des Moines
Level Contributor
508 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mid West Baseball Touring

What a fun trip! As you drive from Dyersville (the Field of Dreams) to Cedar Rapids, drive through Anamosa. The area around Anamosa and Stone City is scenic and was the inspiration for a famous American painter, Grant Wood. In Anamosa there is a museum that features variations on his "American Gothic" painting. Anamosa also has a motorcycle museum.

Between Cedar Rapids and Davenport, there is a Devonian era fossil gorge near North Liberty. East of Iowa City, in the town of West Branch, is the Herbert Hoover Presidential Museum. Hoover was President during the Depression era (late 1920s/early 1930s), but was an accomplished engineer and led humanitarium relief efforts in Europe after World War I.

Another option is to visit the area around Kalona, which is a short distance southwest of Iowa City. The Kalona area is home to many Amish and Mennonite families and they can often be seen farming, shopping, etc.

Have a wonderful visit!

Iowa
Level Contributor
92 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mid West Baseball Touring

You won't see any ball games at the Field of Dreams, it is just where the movie was filmed. People visiting just take turns hitting and fielding, NOT a game at all. Principal Park in Des Moines is a nice ballpark where AAA is played. Worth seeing.....

USA
Level Contributor
7,019 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mid West Baseball Touring

Welcome to the forum, Mark! Cool idea for a trip. You will want to look for Fourth of July/Independence Day celebrations for fireworks and parades and picnics. I assume all ballparks have fireworks displays after games that are on or near July fourth. Excellent advice from prairiedog.

Dubuque, Iowa, has the National Mississippi River Museum and Aquarium, Fenelon Place Elevator, scenic overlooks and more. Dubuque is near Dyersville and the Field of Dreams.

http://www.mississippirivermuseum.com

http://www.dbq.com/fenplco/

Nearby Galena, Illinois is popular. For something different, you could spend a day canoeing. Sorry I have no experience with these two canoe renters:

http://www.andersonrentalsandsales.com/

http://www.mcdonoughcanoerental.com/

Opportunities between Cedar Rapids and Davenport include the Antique Car Museum of Iowa in Coralville, just off Interstate 80. Also the Iowa 80 Trucking Museum, free, and next to the world's largest truck stop in Walcott. The Wilton Candy Kitchen could be the oldest ice cream parlor in the world. With the oldest proprietors, do not expect speedy service.

http://www.acmoi.com/

http://iowa80truckingmuseum.com/

http://www.wiltoncandykitchen.com/

If you are near Clinton on a Thursday, consider a nature cruise on the Mississippi: mycountyparks.com/county/Clinton/Content/Blu… Seats are limited so don't tell anyone else about it.

Get in the Iowa mood by following the Decorah eagles: http://www.ustream.tv/decoraheagles

You might also post this question on the Wisconsin and Illinois forums. What is the attraction in Norway, Iowa?

South Australia...
Level Contributor
512 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mid West Baseball Touring

Hi mark

We are road tripping around USA from may to aug 2013 and trying to get to a baseball game.

If you can help us out with any ideas it would be appreciated.

Intinerary from may - Dallas, San Antonio, New Orleans, Nashville, Lexington, Colorado and west from there.

Thanks Don - Naracoorte SA

USA
Level Contributor
7,019 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mid West Baseball Touring

Two major league teams are on your route, Roadmaster, the Colorado Rockies in Denver and the Texas Rangers in Arlington, near Dallas. The MLB (Major League Baseball) website has links to teams, schedules, and tickets. You will be there in the middle of the season, something should fit in your schedule. I would ask for advice on the Colorado or Texas forums before buying tickets. texas.rangers.mlb.com/index.jsp…

I can not offer help with the minor league games, there are too many teams to choose from. Here is a list: www.milb.com/milb/info/geographical.jsp Some teams draw a lot of fans and games are a lot of fun, others not so much. Again, you will want to seek advice on the relevant forum.

Bendigo, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mid West Baseball Touring

Thanks for the info...

My daughter and I are very much looking forward to "just" playing catch at the field of dreams site. Very aware that no games are played but the movie has been a family favorite for a long time and as they say.. "if you build it"

Cheers

Mark

Bendigo, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mid West Baseball Touring

Thanks Hoogo,

Some great leads given there, I am sure we will have time as we travel to check a lot of these places out. Many thanks for the info!

Norway has a baseball museum in regard to their outstanding high school history and this was highlighted in the movie "the final season" as it was released in AUS.

Cheers

Mark

Bendigo, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mid West Baseball Touring

Hi Don (Roadmaster 31)

Love my baseball and obviously experiencing a Major League Game is brilliant.

You will have so many options traveling by road and as "Hoogo" indicated the Texas Rangers at the Ballpark in Arlington would be a great place to start, The Rockies play in Colorado and as you hit the West Coast there is Oakland, SanFrancisco, SanDiego, Seattle, Los Angeles and Anahiem that all house major teams.

Minor league baseball is where it is all at though, experience the cultural side of baseball and small town America where 99% of the people will go out of thier way to assist and make your baseball game an experience to remember.

Starting at San Antonio the "Missions" play at "AA" level as do Frisco Rough Riders which is suburban Dallas about 30 mins north. New Orleans has a "AAA" team called the Zephyrs and Lexington has a "A" ball team called the legends.

Have a fantastic trip, I know my daughter and I will.

Cheers

Mark

South Australia...
Level Contributor
512 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mid West Baseball Touring

Thanks Mark

Sorry for crashing your post.

I was a bit worried we were not going to get to a game before San Fran but with the other league it should be all good. Didn't realize they played through the week as well - thats serious.

Enjoy your trip, it's going to come around quickly.

Cheers

Don

Iowa
Level Contributor
591 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Mid West Baseball Touring

Speaking of the Field of Dreams. I live just a few miles from there and have taken many friends and visitors there. For those of us that love the movie it truly is a special place. This might be your last chance to see it as it was in the movie. The Lansing family that owned the site has sold it to a developer who plans on creating a baseball/softball mecca which will draw youth teams from all over the country to play in tournaments. There will be a number of diamonds, indoor facilities, hotels, etc. etc. It has been quite a controversial subject around here. Yes it will bring in more tourist dollars and create some jobs, but I'm afraid the ambiance of the "Field" will be forever changed. Progress? Maybe.