We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying

cumbria, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Flying

Traveling to Des Moines in August from Manchester england to visit family flights are really expensive at the moment any ideas for a cheaper route to get there open to any suggestion

Mentioned in this post
USA
Level Contributor
7,081 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying

Welcome to the Iowa forum!

You will be flying at the most expensive time of year. Lowest fares are usually not available this far in advance and they *should* come down some, no guarantees. For better airfare advice, try the TripAdvisor air travel forum: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i10702-Air_Trav…

I would pay extra to fly all the way to Des Moines from whatever transatlantic gateway you use, but it is remotely possible that you could save a few dollars by taking the bus (I think you say coach) after landing in Chicago.

Mentioned in this post
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,215 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying

Having lived in Iowa and flown in/out of Des Moines many times, I can tell you that it is a rather expensive airport in general. Not many airlines service this location and what they do fly in/out of there is largely the 54 passenger (or smaller) commuter planes.

You could also consider flying into Minneapolis and renting a car to drive down from there. I don't know that I would want to do it or if you'd save enough money on the flights to offset the rental car expense.

So bottom line, I suppose I'm with Hoogo and would suggest just biting the bullet and paying whatever it costs to fly into your destination city (Des Moines).

Mentioned in this post
Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
577 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying

I lived in Des Moines for a while and was sometimes able to find cheaper flights in and out of Kansas City, Missouri; Omaha, Nebraska: and Moline, Illinois. You'd still have a drive, but those are much closer than Minnespolis or Chicago (not even an option IMO unless you want to spend some time there as well).

Edited: 24 January 2013, 20:45
Mentioned in this post
Omaha
Omaha
Nebraska
Moline
Moline
Illinois
Dublin, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying

One option to look at would be flying round trip into Chicago and then seeing if a roundtrip to DSM on Southwest would net a savings. The caveat is that Southwest flies out of Midway not Ohare.

5. Re: Flying

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2014, 17:16