We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to see off I-70 and Routes 400 and 156

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
308 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Things to see off I-70 and Routes 400 and 156

We're taking a cross country trip and we'll be coming through Kansas both westbound and eastbound. Kansas will be the last of the 'lower 48' states we've visited!

We love to stop and see interesting things along the route as time permits. We're stopping at the Kansas Museum of History in Topeka already. But is there any 'shouldn't miss' roadside attractions we should be looking for?

Westbound we're going from Kansas City to Limon, CO via I-70. Eastbound we're coming from La Junta, CO to Topeka via route 50/400 and 156 onto I-70.

Thanks.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,500 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to see off I-70 and Routes 400 and 156

Here are a few:

I love the Castle Rock badlands http://www.kansastravel.org/castlerock.htm

If you have even a small interest in folk art, you can spend half a day in Lucas http://www.kansastravel.org/lucaskansas.htm

Cathedral of the Plains is just a few miles south of I-70 in Victoria. Also check out the cemetery you will pass on your way into town with its Volga German iron crosses www.kansastravel.org/cathedralofheplains.htm

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
308 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to see off I-70 and Routes 400 and 156

Thanks for your suggestions...you must know my husband...he LOVES visiting cemetaries when we travel. In addition to the beauty some have - looking at the names on the gravestones is like seeing a history of the area.

I love folk art so I'll be checking out Lucas.

Thanks again.

wichita,ks
Destination Expert
for Wichita
Level Contributor
1,768 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to see off I-70 and Routes 400 and 156

In Hays,KS. which is on I-70 there is the Sternberg Museum of Natural History.

www.oceansofkansas.com/sternbrg.html.

It doesn't seem to work-just do a search for Sternberg Museum.

Edited: 13 December 2009, 20:57
wichita,ks
Destination Expert
for Wichita
Level Contributor
1,768 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to see off I-70 and Routes 400 and 156

In Hays,KS. which is on I-70 there is the Sternberg Museum of Natural History.

www.oceansofkansas.com/sternbrg.html.

Topeka, KS
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to see off I-70 and Routes 400 and 156

When will you be driving through Kansas? The Kansas Division of Travel and Tourism has created "Ready-Made Adventures" which are pre-planned itineraries focusing on a route or theme. We have one specifically for I-70 which may be helpful in choosing places to stop. Here's the link...

https://www.travelks.com/s/index.cfm?aid=118

Enjoy your trip!

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
308 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to see off I-70 and Routes 400 and 156

Thanks for the website links to all these suggestions.

We're going to be there mid-May, I'll take a look at the 'ready made' trips.

Thanks.

Topeka, Kansas
Level Contributor
18,510 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to see off I-70 and Routes 400 and 156

And if you are staying in Topeka, we have several cemetaries where noteable people are buried. The Topeka Cemetary (at 10th and California) and Mt. Hope (17th and Fairlawn)

I also agree to check with KS Travel and Tourism since there's lots of fun things shared on that website.

8. Re: Things to see off I-70 and Routes 400 and 156

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 June 2010, 05:16