We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kansas state tour

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
150 posts
170 reviews
Save Topic
Kansas state tour

My wife and I and our two children (5 & 3yrs) will be travelling from Australian to USA. We are seeing many different cities/states etc but want to try and drive around a bit of Kansas itself. My wife being the big Oz fan wants to see that side of things but what else would be a great highlight for us first timers to Kansas be?

Also looking for old west type of sights/towns as well.

One more thing, we are looking at around April is that a good time to do Kansas.

Many thanks

mattrickie

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,486 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kansas state tour

April is beautiful, though it probably will be only in the 60s.

Oz highlights are the Oz Museum in Wamego and Dorothy's House in Liberal. They are pretty much at opposite corners of the state. There is also a "yellow brick road" of sorts in Sedan.

A few other places I would highly recomend to you:

Grassroots Arts Center and the Garden of Eden in Lucas.

Castle Rock Badlands and Monuments Rocks in the northwest part of the state.

Dalton Defender's Museum in Coffeyville.

The short stretch of Historic Route 66 in the far southeast corner of the state.

Very highly recomended: Kansas Cosmosphere and Underground Salt Mine Museum in Hutchinson. If you are at all aviation or space fans, the Cosmosphere will blow you away.

Kansas has many zoos. The very best is the Sedgwick County Zoo in Wichita.

This web site has info about all of those places except Dorothy's House: http://www.kansastravel.org

Edited: 15 December 2011, 14:00
Kansas City
Level Contributor
26 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kansas state tour

First... April is a very unpredictable month. It can be very rainy, and quite chilly. If you come in May or June... you will have great weather before it gets extremely hot, and the wheat will be in full waving glory.

Kansas is a wonderfully diverse place. In the east it is very urban and in the west it is as remote as any place in the world. Check out Kaw Point Park in the easternmost area of The State. Lewis and Clark stayed there.

Kansas is large. To see the differences you will do some mileage.

See Kansas City, Kansas

Fort Leavenworth

Johnson County, Kansas- Very Upscale

Drive 56 through Dodge City... The ruts of the Santa fe Trail are out there..

Flint Hills are a Must

Lawrence KS is a neat town

Manhattan is great

Drive the sandy country roads in Stafford county

Have lunch in Ulysses, KS

Lindsborg.. Have to go here

Once you get to the middle of the state, hotels get very cheap... and if you feel adventurous... the spartan accommodations in them will not bother you.

Talk to a wheat farmer.. They are proud of what they do.

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Wichita
Level Contributor
660 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kansas state tour

The weather can be a bit dicey in the spring. In April it is finally warming up and just starting to green up. May is usually pretty nice, can be rainy. June does bring waves of wheat.

Dodge City has an old west town that is kind of fun. In my opinon the museum "Cowtown" in Wichita is better. Wichita is the largest city in the state at around 400,000 and 500,000+ if you include the suburbs. Wichita also has a nice historical museum downtown, "Wichita-Sedgwick County Historical Museum". Lots of interesting pieces from the past.

Lighthouse already mentioned the areas for a Wizard of Oz lover.

Definately look of the cities and activities mentioned here on trip advisor to see exactly what we are talking about. Let us know where you are narrowing your trip down to and we can keep helping with suggestions.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
26 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kansas state tour

Also-- You will have some of the best Mexican food ever. Most of the state has seen a huge influx of Mexican immigrants in the last two decades... There is a very strong presence on most of teh packing house towns... Liberal, Garden City, Dodge... and many many others...

I live in Kansas City, Kansas... But I am completely unbiased and love the entire State of Kansas... corner to corner... I am not a CVB person and I would not want to influence an outsider on the best place to be. I am very fond of Wichita and it is a must stop on a Kansas tour... Wichita is actually the largest municipality in the State of Kansas and it has more of a Western feel. It may not make sense with your travel path and quest for the west.. to include the Kansas City area.. Wichita may fit better in your plans.

Kansas City, Kansas and Overaland Park are part of a major metropolitan area of more than 2 million people. It will feel much more cosmopolitan and like being in a typical large city than the rest of the state. From a geography standpoint... Kansas City looks more midwestern. It will feel like Cinncinnati, Memphis or Indianapolis. But it is married to Missouri because the state border runs right through the middle of the city.. So if you live here... you probably love both states... It is a wondrful city... but does not feel very western at all.

You have to drive about an hour west of southwest to start to notice th changing landscape.

Wichita is very urban, but western... It feels like a smaller Oklahoma City.

If I really wanted to see something cool... I would focus on smaller cities and towns... places like Hays, Dodge, Liberal, Colby, Lindsborg, St. John, Hutch, McPherson, Sharon Springs....

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
150 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kansas state tour

Thank you so much for the detailed reply. Such a great help

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
150 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kansas state tour

Wow thank you all for the replies. Such a great detail of info especially surrounding the finer details. All are of a great help.

kansas
Level Contributor
953 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kansas state tour

I would agree that if you are planning on seeing the "real" Kansas that you should stay out of the metro KC area and see the rural places that make up our great state.

Wichita is a great starting point to see many of the sights as most are an easy drive from here. I don't know how you plan on getting to here, but Air Tran and Allegiant are a couple of lower cost airlines that service our airport and may make getting here a bit easier! Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions regarding Wichita. I would be more than happy to help!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
150 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kansas state tour

Thanks very much jarodmom for that. Will PM you later to get some assistance.

Adelaide, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Kansas state tour

Hi there,

I am also travelling to Kansas but am having a lot of trouble finding any greyhound, AMTRAK or any land service that takes me directly to kansas City,KS from Oklahoma City and visa versa. Can anybody help me with information regarding this...?? Thankyou to anyone who can help me!

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,486 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kansas state tour

http://cwrr.com/Amtrak/mw_thrwy.html#KCTO