We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Midwest trip - Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas

Troy, Michigan
Level Contributor
372 posts
469 reviews
Save Topic
Midwest trip - Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas

It's one of my life goals to visit all 50 states and this summer we have decided to check off the states of Iowa, Kansas, and Nebraska. This will be a one week road trip leaving from Michigan.

I've gotten the tourism books from each state but I'm having trouble getting any personal recommendations. So I'd love to hear any suggestions anyone might have of things to do or places to stay. We like museums and historical sites especially. There won't be any kids on the trip, just my husband and I and we are in our 50s. Thanks!

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,813 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Midwest trip - Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas

Hi msu_mom. I've seen you in the Michigan forums.

There are so many options in Kansas, that I don't really know where to start. http://www.kansastravel.org could fill a few evenings of looking. Highlights include the Kansas Cosmophere (World class aviation and space museum) & Salt Mine Museum in Hutchinson, the Kansas Museum of History & State Capital Building in Topeka, or the Grassroots Arts Center & Garden of Eden in Lucas. But your trip could head off in other directions.

Do you know what week your trip will be?

wichita,ks
Destination Expert
for Wichita
Level Contributor
1,799 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Midwest trip - Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas

You might find this of some interest www.kansastravel.org/eisenhower.htm - also this same web site has info on the 8 wonders of Kansas.

Edited: 09 April 2012, 14:09
Troy, Michigan
Level Contributor
372 posts
469 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Midwest trip - Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas

Wow, two great replies already! Thanks. Our trip will probably be either the last week of June or 4th of July week.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,813 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Midwest trip - Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas

Ok, with the exception of a few things that are only open during the school year, all the attractions should be open at that time. That particular time period doesn't have much in the way of festivals, but many cities have special events for the 4th.

The county fairs start the following week.

Another unique museum which we haven't touched on is the The Sternberg Museum of Natural History in Hays (not far from the Cathedral of the Plains). If you end up going that far west, I recomend going on to Castle Rock, Monument Rocks and the cool little Keystone Gallery near Monument Rocks.

I saw your post on Fodors and passed a long a tip for Iowa, there.

Nebraska has two must visit locations. The Strategic Air Comand Museum and the Henry Doorly Zoo in Omaha. The Doorly is world class. I would be tempted to come across Iowa, loop through Omaha & Lincoln, with a stop at the neat cemetery in Nebraska City, then down to Kansas City to enter Kansas. This is about the cemetery: http://www.mightymac.org/neb1.htm

Edited: 10 April 2012, 21:19
Troy, Michigan
Level Contributor
372 posts
469 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Midwest trip - Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas

Thanks for your help Keith. I loved your photos and the cemetery will definitely be on my list. I find cemeteries fascinating.

Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Midwest trip - Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas

Hi msu_mom,

When in Kansas you might consider visiting the Brown v. Board of Education site in Topeka; the Cosmosphere in Hutchinson; Exploration Place, designed by renowned architect Moshe Safdie, in Wichita; the Eisenhower Center in Abilene; and the Samuel P. Dinsmoor "Garden of Eden" home and Museum of Folk Art in Lucas. As you are interested in cemeteries, Dinsmoor is interred at his home (which he built by hand).

Overland Park...
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Midwest trip - Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas

Atchison, KS has the Amelia Earhart childhood home and a festival in late June as well as beautiful old homes. Lawrence, KS is a college town where KU is located plus a charming downtown. Leavenworth, KS has the fort, the prisons, Vetrans cemetery and beautiful old homes. These cities are an hour or so away from the Kansas City area.

8. Re: Midwest trip - Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 12:15