We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help me find things not to miss...

Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
28 posts
858 reviews
Save Topic
Please help me find things not to miss...

Hi all...I am looking for hidden gems. We are moving cross country and for the most part will be on 70 but will be more than happy to go off the beaten path and travel on smaller roads for great experiences, nice small towns, cute local restaurants, or anything you have ever seen that you would go out of your way to see again. Any help would be great. I will be happy to post about all the fun places we find along the way. Thanks!!!

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,701 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help me find things not to miss...

Lucas, Kansas is the Grassroots arts capital of Kansas. The tiny community has the Graden of Eden, Grassroots Arts Center, Flying Pig Studio & Gallery, and other quirky attractions.

Castle Rock Badlands is beautiful and it will feel like you discovered it. The similar Monument Rocks are farther from the Interstate, but also have the fun Keystone Gallery nearby.

Deep Creek Waterfall is a few miles off I-70 on dirt roads, the low water crossing and falls is beautiful stop in hot weather. Continue on into Manhattan to visit the Bug Zoo, get ice cream at the Call Hall Dairy Bar, and tour the Marianna Kistler Beach Museum of Art - all the Kansas State Univeristy campus.

Small town restaurants of note include the Bunker Hill Cafe in Bunker Hill and the Rennisance Cafe in Asaria at the upper end. Junction City has some good little Korean Restaurants and is just off I-70. Abeline has the Brookville Hotel which only serves fried chicken dinners with all the fixings. The Cozy Inn in Salina is a real dive, that has been serving its tiny burgers for 90 years.

All of these attractions and more are listed at http://www.kansastravel.org

Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
28 posts
858 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help me find things not to miss...

All of those things sound wonderful. Thanks so much for your help.

OK
Level Contributor
219 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help me find things not to miss...

Cathedral of the Plains, Victoria, KS:

www.kansastravel.org/cathedralofheplains.htm

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,701 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help me find things not to miss...

If you get farther off the beaten path, I think that the world's largest ball of twine is more interesting than it sounds, while the geographic center of the United States is less interesting.

Edited: 11 July 2012, 18:39
Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
28 posts
858 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help me find things not to miss...

Thanks!

Topeka, KS
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help me find things not to miss...

The state's tourism office offers ideas on the 1-70 Yellow Brick Road Trip... https://www.travelks.com/s/index.cfm?aid=118

KCK
Level Contributor
867 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please help me find things not to miss...

I second Lucas! Also, take a look at Hays, Kansas. Several things to do and a good place to stop for the night.

Overland Park...
Level Contributor
3 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please help me find things not to miss...

The state capitol building in Topeka is one of the best I have toured. They are doing a lot of reconstruction currently. It is just a few blocks off I-70 while driving through Topeka. While in Topeka, Bobo's Drive in is close. Nothing fancy, but cool old-school drive-in. Must have the apple pie! Ask anyone and they will tell you how to get there.

I just posted a review of Rolling Hills Wildlife park near Salina. Not far off I-70 as well. I also hear from family that the city waterpark in Salina is great. Cheap and many features such as large wave pool if you are looking to cool down.

Further South of Salina is Lindsborg. It is a charming Swedish town. Neat art, places to eat, and friendly people. However you are probably looking at 30 minutes South.

If you head that way and have any interest in space, the Kansas Cosmosphere in Hutchinson is awesome. Not much else in Hutch (except the salt mine tour) but the Cosmosphere has an amazing collection. It is a Smithsonian affiliate and has the largest Soviet/Russian space collection outside of Moscow. If into space I think its worth the trip.

Again, those last two are 30 minutes and 1 hour South of I-70. I agree with previous post regarding Lucas.

9. Re: Please help me find things not to miss...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 July 2013, 07:16