We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where do I start

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
768 posts
152 reviews
Save Topic
Where do I start

Am heading to Kentucky for the first time in May. SWMBO is going to Paducha for some quilting thing from 2nd - 5th May, and I'll be looking for something to do. Sorry for being a bit vague, but until a couple of hours ago had never thought of visiting Kentucky. Looking for suggestions as to where I could go for 3 days, 2 nights from Paduca. Will have a hire car. Only parts of USA I've seen are Colorado and New York on previous visits, and will be spending a few days in Tennessee befroe coming to Kentucky on this trip. Am keen to get out and about with the camera.

Louisville
Level Contributor
962 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Where do I start

Not knowing your specific interests, I'd say take a look at either Nashville, Tennessee (about 2.5 hrs. from Paducah) or Louisville, Kentucky (about 3.5 hrs).

Churchill Downs racetrack in Louisville will be open and running in May. Check your dates to see if your trip coincides with The Kentucky Derby (May 7th this year). If so, lodging etc. will be complicated. Louisville also has the Muhammad Ali Center and the Louisville Slugger Museum.

Nashville is the home of Country music, Sun Records, The Grand Ole Opry etc. (...But this may already be your entry point for the trip)

If Bourbon is of any interest, you could work your route around some distillery tours. http://www.kybourbontrail.com/

Or perhaps swing through the "Land Between the Lakes" area for natural scenery.

http://www.lbl.org/

Oh, and Bowling Green, KY has the Corvette Museum which could be easily worked into a route. Or Mammoth Cave is also in the western part of KY.

http://www.corvettemuseum.com/

http://www.nps.gov/maca/index.htm

If you're interested in "off-the-beaten-path" sort of things, this blog might provide some inspiration. I stumbled across it one day. She's sort of driving around the area you're considering visiting. It starts in Indianapolis, Indiana....but wanders into Kentucky.....

Day 1:

feastingonamericana.com/2010/03/feasting-on-…

Day 2: (By the way, I had breakfast at Lynn's last week. That's MY cute little neighborhood)

feastingonamericana.com/2010/03/day-2-my-fir…

Day 3:

feastingonamericana.com/2010/03/feasting-on-…

Day 4:

feastingonamericana.com/2010/04/day-4-whats-…

Cadiz, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where do I start

Land Between the Lakes is only about an hour from Paducah, with lots to do. Three state parks - Kentucky Dam Village, Kenlake and Lake Barkley Resort Park - all have very nice accomodations. The link to learn more, as Seagrover gave you, is www.lbl.org

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
768 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where do I start

Thanks for the ideas.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,102 posts
417 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where do I start

Also might add beside Corvette Museum and Mammoth Cave there are some other sites to see such as Lincoln's Birthplace and the Shaker Village. The lodge at the Shaker Village has a restaurant with delicious food.

www.nps.gov/abli/

www.shakervillageky.org/

Enjoy your trip.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
91 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where do I start

Whatever you do, don't miss Louisville that week! Derby is on the 7th but the locals are exhausted by then. Derby week has something going on every night and you can do the Bourbon Trail by day. I don't know where you're from people from all over the world come to the KY Derby that week. It's a party and southern hospitality at its best!

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where do I start

Have dinner at Doe's Eat Place in Paducah for the best steaks in America. I would head E and visit Lexington, KY. It's a beautiful city. Head S to Nashville for a couple of nights and visit downtown and the great restaurants and shops there. Head W to Memphis and stay downtown near Beale Street for some great fun times and good Memphis BBQ. Good luck.

Edited: 21 February 2011, 22:58
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
768 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where do I start

Thanks for all the replies.

So much to see. Will finish our trip with a couple of days in Nashville.

Will definitely have a steak at Doe's Place - sounds good.

8. Re: Where do I start

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2012, 22:17