We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need suggestions for family get together

Grand Haven...
Destination Expert
for Grand Haven, Michigan
Level Contributor
945 posts
179 reviews
Save Topic
Need suggestions for family get together

My 3 siblings, myself and our spouses are looking for a centrally located place to meet and spend a few days together. Geographically, mid to northern KY would work nicely, but I'm having a hard time deciding on a specific area. In the past we've had rentals in NC and southern IN. We enjoy visiting local attractions, restaurants, hiking, outdoor activities and sightseeing. Suggestions for this part of the US would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Lexington Ky
Level Contributor
349 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need suggestions for family get together

Lexington would be a good starting point. Stay downtown so you can walk to the many great restaurants and bars. Red RiverGorge is about an hour away and is fabulous for hiking. If you want a closer, easier hike Ravens Run is only 10-15 minutes outside of town. Google both. If you go to the Gorge you must eat at Miguel's Pizza.

I would also recommend taking in a bourbon distillery tour. Personally I don't even like bourbon but the Woodford Reserve tour made me wish I did!

There is a Bleu Plate tour downtown. You walk to 7 different restaurants and get a small plate at each. There's also a ghost tour.

Ashland, the Henry Clay Estate is a nice tour as well. I'm not as familiar with northern Ky so I can't help there.

Check visitlex.com for more suggestions.

Cincinnati, Ohio
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Need suggestions for family get together

If you like horses, visit the Kentucky Horse Park. Another great place for horse lovers is Old Friends, which is a retirement home for thoroughbreds. Some of the big horse farms offer tours where you can meet some of the stallions. You can make your own appointments; alternatively, several tour companies offer horse farm tours. The Bluegrass is a beautiful area just to drive through.

Churchill Downs is currently running races. It's about an hour from Lexington. In Louisville, there's the Kentucky Derby Museum at CD. For baseball fans there's the Louisville Slugger Museum.

Mammoth Cave National Park Is in the south-central part of the state, but worth the drive.. It's great for active people. I recommend the Half-Day Tour and/or the Historic Tour. The lantern tours are fun too. Make reservations, as the tours fill quickly in summer. The park also has a nice system of trails that aren't crowded (because people go to see the caves).

Burkesville...
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need suggestions for family get together

If you are looking for a place to stay: www.hiddencaveranch.com located in south central Kentucky. 5 miles from Dale hollow Lake and 10 miles from Lake Cumberland. Horseback riding and cave exploring on the property. 2 hours to Knoxville, 2 hours to Nashville, 1 hour to Cookeville and 3 hours to Louisville. kentuckytourism.com/places_to_stay/…

4. Re: Need suggestions for family get together

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 19:17