We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kentucky in October Stops

Minnesota
Level Contributor
379 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Kentucky in October Stops

We will be traveling from Minnesota to Ashville, N.C. in October going through Nashville. Are there any areas or places in Kentucky we should try to explore on our way? We do meander on our road trips and our interests are photography, moderate hiking, and enjoying scenic areas.

Edited: 17 September 2011, 19:39
Mentioned in this post
Minnesota
Minnesota
United States
Asheville
Asheville
North Carolina Mountains, NC
Nashville
Nashville
Davidson County, TN
Kentucky
Kentucky
United States
Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kentucky in October Stops

Not sure of your route, or how much time you want to spend on side trips, but if you are likely coming from I-24, you may want to stop at Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area. lots of wildlife, flora, hiking trails, activities, etc. very scenic. (not mountains, but you will see that in NC). very peaceful, relaxing, and convenient to interstate. between Paducah & Fort Campbell, about an hour & half before Nashville.

www.lbl.org

www.kentuckylake.com

ALSO, after Nashville, about 90 miles east( of Nashville), off I-40, you may want to visit Muddy Pond. ( near Monterey about 20 min off interstate.) a friendly Mennonite community with a general store with amazing jams, candies, sorghum syrup, and adjacent to a leather shop & carriage shop. scenic drive and outstanding prices.

tnvacation.com/vendors/…

Love both these places...wish i were going back soon.

Have a great trip!

Miller

Edited: 19 September 2011, 06:45
Mentioned in this post
Paducah
Paducah
Kentucky
Nashville
Nashville
Davidson County, TN
Minnesota
Level Contributor
379 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kentucky in October Stops

Thank you. This is what i was looking for. Not sure of our route yet which is why I asked. Land Between the Lakes and Muddy Pond definitely sound interesting and we could fit them in.

kentucky
Level Contributor
486 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kentucky in October Stops

Mammoth cave is just outside Bowling Green and is alot of fun. Also Cumberland Falls sate park near Corbin. Also, Corbin has the original KFC restaurant which has a mini museum in it. You can eaily google Mammoth cave Natl park and cumberland falls state park.

Also, near Asheville is a great area called Chimney rock. I believe it is a private park, but lots of scenery and hiking. ALso nearby in Abingdon, VA is the virginia creeper bike trail.

Mentioned in this post
Corbin
Corbin
Kentucky
Asheville
Asheville
North Carolina Mountains, NC
Abingdon
Abingdon
Virginia
Cadiz, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kentucky in October Stops

Trigg County borders LBL, and the weekend of the 14th is their annual Country Ham Festival in Cadiz. It's a county fair atmosphere, with lots of free entertainment and lots of friendly people!

Mentioned in this post
Cadiz
Cadiz
Kentucky
Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kentucky in October Stops

Here's a few places to stop and rest in KY. Have a great trip. Get off I 65 at Exit 2 in Franklin, KY and go Nashville Road in Franklin, KY to Jim's BBQ for outstanding KY country food. Get off I 65 at Exit 26 in Bowling Green, KY and go W on Cemetery Road or Fairview Avenue to Chestnut. Take a left and go to Brickyard Cafe for fine Italian for lunch and dinner. Get off I 65 at Exit 65 in Munfordville, KY and go S on Main Street to Big Bubba Buck 's BBQ for good Kentucky BBQ. Get off I 65 at Exit 86 at Glendale, KY and go to The Whistle Stop or Tony York's for outstanding southern country food for lunch or dinner. Get off I 65 at Exit 94 in Elizabethtown, KY and go W on Mulberry to Commerce Drive. Take a left and go to Texas Outlaw BBQ for good road food.

Jim's BBQ @ 6111 Nashville Rd., Franklin, KY. 270 - 586 - 9851.

Brickyard Cafe @ 1026 Chestnut St., Bowling Green, KY 270 - 843 - 6431.

http://www.brickyardcafe.net/

Big Bubba Bucks BBQ @ 1802 Main St., Munfordville, KY 270 - 524 - 3333.

Tony York's @ 201 East Main Street, Glendale, KY 270 - 369 - 6000.

The Whistle Stop Restaurant @ 216 East Main St., Glendale, KY 270 - 369 - 7969.

http://www.whistlestoprestaurant.net/

Texas Outlaw BBQ @ 220 Commerce Dr., Elizabethtown, KY 270 - 234 - 8586.

Get off I 65 at Exit 94 in Elizabethtown, KY and go W on N Mulberry about half a mile to Stone Hearth Restaurant for outstanding southern food. The fried chicken with mashed potatoes and gravy is outstanding. Get a Kentucky tradition Hot Brown sandwich or one of their delicious po boys. Call ahead and get a box lunch to go. Get off I 65 at Exit 127 in Louisville, KY and go E on Highway 1065 to Preston Highway. Take a left a go 3 blocks to Bootleg BBQ for outstanding southern food open at 11AM for lunch and dinner 7 days a week. Get off I 65 at Exit 137 in Louisville, KY just before you cross the Ohio River and go W on I 64 to Exit 5B to River Road and go to Joe's Crab Shack for fresh seafood for lunch or dinner. For good home style food with a water front view get off I 65 at Exit 0 at Court and go W to the first street. Take a left and go S to Riverside Drive to Buck Head Mountain Grill for lunch or dinner.

Mentioned in this post
Franklin
Franklin
Kentucky
Nashville
Nashville
Davidson County, TN
Kentucky
Kentucky
United States
The Whistle Stop
The Whistle Stop
253 Reviews
Glendale, KY
Texas
Texas
United States
Louisville
Louisville
Kentucky
Ohio
Ohio
United States
6. Re: Kentucky in October Stops

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2012, 22:19